BTW, food guarding isn't necessarily a dominance issue at all: it is a completely natural behaviour by most predators.

Also wanted to say that a lot of pups go through the really possessive over meat and bones stage: if they are treated correctly they grow out of it once they know they can trust you and that there is another meal coming soon. Dogs are biologically programmed from birth to eat as much as they can at any one time in case the next meal is a long time away. It takes a while for a developing pup to learn how to cope with human demands and behaviours.

Yes, occasionally you will get a really dominant stroppy pup, but I'd hate to think of people who are new to owning dogs reading some of the advice on this thread and getting all heavy handed with a little pup which is still learning to adjust to the human household and still behaving as though it needs to guard food from its littermates.

IMO, for what it is, it is just plain stupid to give a little pup some food then take it away from it and hit or aggress it if the pups growls. Read the post on Fido again if you wonder why!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Jenksi it's not a load of bollocks ... I have never ever had a problem with my dogs and kids, and never will do because I don't let the situation develop. My dogs know my hand near their bowl is not a threat because I taught them that by NOT taking away the food first. Now, if I need to, I can remove it. But again ... why should I?? It proves nothing to me or the dogs. They know there's no reason to react, so they don't. But kids and dogs should never ever be left unattended under ANY circumstance, so I keep an eye out when feeding. Also, my kids have been taught NOT to touch sleeping or eating dogs as a matter of respect and also to avoid any mishaps with dogs who have not been educated about their food bowls.

Speak not to me of my dogs mate. My dogs know I'm the boss. They do not snarl at me over their food - EVER. She did once when she first came here and was very young - nothing serious, just a puppy thing. So, I sorted it out. I don't see the need to braid my dogs over their food bowls .... but I do see the need to teach them about gaurding their food. Strangely I've managed to do that without being violent with them.

No RFYL I never said you shouldn't be firm - have a look, I said there are times when you need to be firm. I've had mine out with some sheep recently and believe me I was firm :laugh: Since the last time I let her strangle herself on a long line and then gave her shit for looking at them she's not bothered about them. Today had her off lead around cows - accidentally mind you, 'cause I didn't see them till she'd been running around for about 5 minutes. But she saw them and never batted an eye. Bear in mind this stock thing is all new to me ... my experience with it is limited and at the minute my dog is limited by my inexperience. But general dog behaviour is something that I'm really quite comfortable with.

I really do not believe in belting my dogs over their food. Why set them up for failure? Just feed them out of the way and have done. I can pick up her bowl while she's eating if I need to, call her to me off her food if I need to because I've been doing that since she was a puppy. But just to be safe, having kids in the house ... I put her out of the way. I can take anything out of her mouth as well - like when she gets something stuck in there. But I don't push her at it because I don't need to. Why should I feel the need to take her food away?? What purpose does that serve? None if you ask me. She retrieves for me, she recalls to me, she jumps on command, sits, lays down etc etc. She's excellent with the kids and in the house. So why should I care if I can take her food away when she's eating? I used to think that it was really really important for me to be able to shove my hand in my dogs bowl. But ... why the hell should I? I can touch her feet, stick my hand in her mouth, clean her ears and all the rest of it. She wants to eat her food, I let her. It seems daft to take it away just because I can.

If it works for you that's fine. I've no doubt your bond with your dogs is fine. But clearly there is more than one way to skin a rabbit, as they say ;)

Hi Lurchergurl...

The lad asked a question about his pup, and i said i know what works... It looks like the forum is devided on this. It was nt what you can do to your dog, or anything about your dog lurchergurl(and no noe is doubting your training skills), i dont doubt that you can do all these things to it, you can to 99% of all lurchers, they are very placid...

Some people mentioned "hitting" is the same as scruffing, that bollocks. if someone gave me a belt, i'd have a black eye or a broken nose, i wouldnt if they grabbed me by the neck!

And as for it being scruffed then "thrown" to the floor!! well this was never said, what we playing, "chinese whispers" !!

Dogs are a pack animal, and respond to a leader, let it take and inch in its early life and it could take your finger later!!

No RFYL I never said you shouldn't be firm - have a look, I said there are times when you need to be firm. I've had mine out with some sheep recently and believe me I was firm :laugh: Since the last time I let her strangle herself on a long line and then gave her shit for looking at them she's not bothered about them. Today had her off lead around cows - accidentally mind you, 'cause I didn't see them till she'd been running around for about 5 minutes. But she saw them and never batted an eye. Bear in mind this stock thing is all new to me ... my experience with it is limited and at the minute my dog is limited by my inexperience. But general dog behaviour is something that I'm really quite comfortable with.

I really do not believe in belting my dogs over their food. Why set them up for failure? Just feed them out of the way and have done. I can pick up her bowl while she's eating if I need to, call her to me off her food if I need to because I've been doing that since she was a puppy. But just to be safe, having kids in the house ... I put her out of the way. I can take anything out of her mouth as well - like when she gets something stuck in there. But I don't push her at it because I don't need to. Why should I feel the need to take her food away?? What purpose does that serve? None if you ask me. She retrieves for me, she recalls to me, she jumps on command, sits, lays down etc etc. She's excellent with the kids and in the house. So why should I care if I can take her food away when she's eating? I used to think that it was really really important for me to be able to shove my hand in my dogs bowl. But ... why the hell should I? I can touch her feet, stick my hand in her mouth, clean her ears and all the rest of it. She wants to eat her food, I let her. It seems daft to take it away just because I can.

If it works for you that's fine. I've no doubt your bond with your dogs is fine. But clearly there is more than one way to skin a rabbit, as they say ;)

Hi Lurchergurl...

The lad asked a question about his pup, and i said i know what works... It looks like the forum is devided on this. It was nt what you can do to your dog, or anything about your dog lurchergurl(and no noe is doubting your training skills), i dont doubt that you can do all these things to it, you can to 99% of all lurchers, they are very placid...

Some people mentioned "hitting" is the same as scruffing, that bollocks. if someone gave me a belt, i'd have a black eye or a broken nose, i wouldnt if they grabbed me by the neck!

And as for it being scruffed then "thrown" to the floor!! well this was never said, what we playing, "chinese whispers" !!

Dogs are a pack animal, and respond to a leader, let it take and inch in its early life and it could take your finger later!!

my way of looking at it aswell

thats what i`ve always done to my terriers if they growl they do it once thats it they know whos boss ,i can take anything from them bones whole rabbits they dare growl ,as i aint having my grandkid nipped that ever happens they feel the back of the shovel on there head simple as that .

Just to note, the OP's dog is 12 weeks old.

It is perfectly natural for a 12 week old pup to growl over food, this is totally normal behaviour. It doesn't take a heavy hand to teach a pup the way of the world. In fact, a heavy hand at such a young age is detrimental to their development.

Say what you like, scruffing a pup for natural behaviour is wrong. Taking the time - and not much time, may I add - to teach it to trust you is easy and bond building.

I may be simpler to grab it and scruff it, but no amount of insisting is going to make me think that it's appropriate to train a young dog that way. And any young or inexperienced people coming on to this forum and reading that may well end up trying it themselves and harming the dog or damaging their relationship with it.

I agree with you RFYL - but again there are more ways to teach them who's the leader ;)

I agree with you lurchergrrl.

I can not fathom where the idea that scruffing teaches pack leadership, (or the alpha roll(, comes from? It is not a natural behaviour between dogs, so why do we think it is when we do it? Why do we think it teaches anything other than pain and fear to our dogs?

It is not a natural occurrence within the pack mentality. Its stone age dog training, nothing else.

I can not fathom where the idea that scruffing teaches pack leadership, (or the alpha roll(, comes from? It is not a natural behaviour between dogs, so why do we think it is when we do it? Why do we think it teaches anything other than pain and fear to our dogs?

It is not a natural occurrence within the pack mentality. Its stone age dog training, nothing else.

Bolocks! watch how the alpha puts the under dogs in there place, it bites them!! Your pup doesnt have a pack to play with, it needs a leader! How many growling pups have you actually had, and you lurcher gurl?

Bolocks! watch how the alpha puts the under dogs in there place, it bites them!! Your pup doesnt have a pack to play with, it needs a leader! How many growling pups have you actually had, and you lurcher gurl?

:no: You are very very wrong.

An 'alpha' male doesn't bite the dog at all. A dominant male can exert his power through glance alone.

The submissive dog is the one doing all the work and will roll and show its under belly as a sign of its submission.

This article helps explain it better. Lou castle training.

Want to be the leader? Begin by acting like one. Stand up tall and act like a leader. Notice that most dogs are submissive to a good trainer just by him walking onto the field. That's because he knows how to stand, carry himself and talk as a leader. He hasn't alpha rolled your dog. He hasn't kicked your dog's butt, but your dog knows, at a glance, who the leader is.

But if you wish to keep your bully title, who am I to argue :D

On your other question, I very often have lurcher pups, and older dogs too. Currently have a litter of whippet x pups.

But I don't need to recite my credentials to a bully. Next you will be telling me that pulling ears is the best way to teach a recall or that your dog thinks you are a dog!! Love it.

hi all in need of a bit of advice the problem is my 12 week old bullx is getting a bit nasty when eating her meat . when you have to take it away or stroke her when eating she reacts bad growling teath out im getting concerned cuz i have toddlers running round the house. i have always from the first day stroked her while eating so i didnt get this problem but now its here how shall i control it many thanks

try putting the food down where she eats but dont let her eat it just make her sit and wait till you want her to eat and try to pretned to eat some then when shes learned how to do this let the children help you .also when shes lying in her bed get her out and you sit in it these are just some things ive read to help you dominate the dog im no expert ;)

Without getting into too many details, I had a wolf x - the genuine real deal, from a Native Reserve. If you think your lurchers have a pack mentality try living with one of them! :laugh: She was all about body language and looks. She was not scruffed as a youngster. She came from a large pack of dogs who ran wild and hunted for their food, and was full of growly behaviour.

My lurcher bitch growled a bit when she first got here. So I taught her there was no need for it.

The whippet did the same thing, as he was also a pup when he arrived. Taught him too.

Haven't scruffed either of them.

well how does alpha male become alpha does he look and growl at the pack no mate he attacks them with as much force as he possibly can give out 1 by 1 he dominates them not by looking growling he uses brute force to get there and will use it continually to keep the pack in check some bottom members of the pack will turn over with look or growl but the 1s that dont are dealt with by force scruff your pup mate let him know who is alpha and it will stay that way no need to hit a dog but scruffing imo will not do long lasting damage atb hector

this is quite simple really leave the dog be to eat its food and learn your children the same ,why does the dog have to be irritated while eating its grub

Well what if it finds a rotting animal in the field, you would stand back and let it eat it! no i think not but hey, you havent taught it not to growl at you and snap at you! think about it..