.270 anyone got one?

i shot a remington .270 in africa, really liked the gun...are they very common over here and does anyone rate this round? do they shoot pretty flat?

Not a good market for them i was told.Good round i think.Gonna bin my 308 and 243 and set up on a 270

I had a .270, it was a Sabatti, very light rifle, unmoderated too. It was feckin awful to shoot, loud as feck, recoiled a bit too.

Anyway, I sold the .270 and my .22-250 and bought a .243 and have never looked back.

So to sum it up, I personally do not like the .270, if I ever do decide to get a bigger calibre then it would probably be a 6.5X55

I had a 270 ruger number 1 for a few years and it was fantastic. i'm trying to get my mate in sweden to get one over there for me to shoot when i'm over.

yes it's a little bit kicky but most people put a mod on it anyway and that makes it a pussycat. Dont listen to what people will saw about the 270 unless they have owned one.

google chuck hawks and see what he says about it.

I sold mine to buy a left handed 6.5x55 which is a great cartridge as well but i do miss the 270 and the fact that they are not very popular means they can be bought for a song.

scan0001.jpg

Ezzy.

the fact that they are not very popular means they can be bought for a song.

Ezzy.

That is very true Ezzy, in fact mine was a brand new buy which I sold for £150.00 after shooting probably 40 rounds through, a good purchase for someone who likes the calibre.

Each to their own, I aint knocking anyone who likes the .270, it just isn't my cup of tea ;)

Spangle.

for us up in scotland the .270 is a popular estate rifle for stags because although it recoils hard and its loud its quite dificult to cock up the shot to badly

dont rule out the 25-06 though this is basicly a .270 necked down to accept a .25 calliber bullet

both are flat shooting and hit hard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25-06_Remington

25-06 is a 30-06 necked down that why it has 06 in the name and i wouldnt bother i would get 30-06 or 6.5-55

for us up in scotland the .270 is a popular estate rifle for stags because although it recoils hard and its loud its quite dificult to cock up the shot to badly

dont rule out the 25-06 though this is basicly a .270 necked down to accept a .25 calliber bullet

both are flat shooting and hit hard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25-06_Remington

25-06 is a 30-06 necked down that why it has 06 in the name and i wouldnt bother i would get 30-06 or 6.5-55

agreed, but what i mean is that the .25-06, 270, 30-06 all share the same case size

i shot a remington .270 in africa, really liked the gun...are they very common over here and does anyone rate this round? do they shoot pretty flat?

To carry this on as a chat . . .As far as I can make out, the 270 is on the same order of power as the 30-06, .308, or 303 military calibres. If you are shooting in England & Wales you only need it if you are shooting wild boar. If you are shooting in Scotland for large deer - red, sitka, fallow . . . then you can claim to need it. But then why bother? Go for 30-06 and get the bullet weight!

Ric

I've had a .270 for 7 years now, mine is excellent, to be honest I bought it in the first place because it was New and Left Hand bolt, not for the calibre. Mine's a Browning 'A' Bolt Medalion, it had the BOSS muzzle brake on it from new, that soaked out any bad recoil, but Oh dear SO LOUD, even for me behind it.

I've tweaked things a bit, I fitted a Timney trigger spring, and then a Wildcat Predator 8 moderator, so now it's a bit 'lumpy' to carry about but easy on the ears and very accurate.

I use 130gr Sierra Game King SP's for deer, and 110gr Hornady V-Max for foxes both on 59gr of R22,

the cases are big and easy to reload, I recently got some Norma brass from Midway UK and this has really iced the cake, clover leaf 3 shot groups at 100 yards, and 1 1/2" max at 200 yards.

I have also shot .243, .223 and 22.250 extensively all are good in their own right but all much 'fiddlier' to reload and much more sensitive to changes in bullet brand even at the same weight/type.

So don't be put off, .270 is an excellent round. It has plenty of power without stretching the laws of ballistics (like .220 swift for example), its like a V8 engine as opposed to a turbo charged chicken chaser.

Try one, you might like it!

AF

• 2 weeks later...
thanks guys some awesome info and replies there much appreciated.....the .270 just seems to be so much cheaper than alot of the other calibers!

I lived in SA for ten years, where i bought my remmington .270 14 years ago, its now in the safe in the loft!!

loud bang........ thats the last thing you are thinking about when you drop the buck,

recoil- let the adrenalin sort that out.

yes . when on the range you go home brusied, and you look daft in your earmuffs...............

i used home loads and could clover three rounds at 100m............. after a while!

Now, back here i am using my 223 for fox, so havent really used it on factory ammo.

will do next year so best i get to the range and look daft

my .270 trophy!

post-35142-1247780130_thumb.jpg

I was told by loads of people don't get a .270 it's too loud with harsh recoil. It kicks a bit ( but you'll only notice it at the range ) and yes it's loud . I bought a winchester 70 XTR It's 30 years old and has seen some use but it still groups an inch at 100yds. I have far more confidence in it than my .243.

The .270 win is a necked down 30-06.

So if you want one get one. I don't think you'll be dissapointed!!

Ff