hi all just joined this site after heering much talk about it.did any one see the standerd ov judging at broughton on sunday

Just read the 7 pages of this thread started by lakeland, ask your carer to check your spelling before you post more crap richard cranium!! I was at broughton a fine show and a warm welcome to us welsh lads that travelled up off derek

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go again.Dident get a wee prize to take home.So the teddy gose out of the pram.Listen mate .Now dont you go telling anyone else this.You keep it to yourself.IT,S ALL FOR FUN YOU TWAT. We all l

Personally I think anyone who opts to judge a show wants their head examined, they make three people happy and a damn sight more very bitter, not an ideal situation.

I'd pick up on what someone posted earlier about judges knowing what they're looking for and being experienced regarding dogs,

I've witnessed (as others will have) people judging that have been in the dog game twenty minutes, go through dogs like underwear but are considered to be more knowledgeable than your average lurcherman simply because of the volume of dogs they've owned.

All that aside however if you choose to enter your dog and pay your pound you're basically asking one man for his opinion of your dog be it, good, bad or indifferent it's only one mans opinion so don't let it spoil your day, and if it does buy a pie with your pound instead.

At the moment up and down the country judges are being got at ,no~one will want to judge at shows,what a sad day that will be.

I have judged over 25 years and keep lurchers and whippets which i have had great wins with.

One day you win, the next weekend you might not get a look in,but to me i always take the best dogs home ,no matter what the judge thinks,i keep my opinions to myself.,i don't go and have a pop at the judge.

It really boils down to bad sportmanship, if you can't stand the heat get out of kitchen,that's my motto.

Please give these judges some praise,because it's their time they are giving.

Maybe there are some Judges around who judge faces and not dogs, and wouldn't know a good working dog if it bit them on the arse, there is no way on this planet that some of the OWNERS that take dogs into the show rings would be capable of working a dog, big fat birds huffing and puffing, how do they walk the fields?

I've seen with my own eyes some proper dodgy judges at certain shows.

But, D.W. isn't one of them.

As an aside,....it doesn't matter one iota if the handler is a 'two ton Tessie' or is ripped like Bruce fecking Lee,.the Judge is only looking at the jukel from a BEAUTY contest point of view,...and it is all about his personal preference,.and the chosen animal's suitability for being CAPABAL of undertaking certain tasks in the field,.etc,.etc.... ;)

A lurcher show has NOTHING at all to do with the handler's hunting prowess..... :yes:

Well ......... I'm not the slimmest of lads myself ........... :icon_redface:

My point was that it's dead obvious which are the working dogs and which are the show ponies, it's probably for the best that I don't judge as I would base my decisions on a perceived ability to do the job, and rightly or wrongly I'd say the overall impression you get from both the handler and the dog would influence that, and the big heavy treaders with their pretty show dogs that bear none of the marks from working would be the first ones out of the ring if I were judging.

That's not to say dogs with scars should win, I've been out and seen dogs with not a mark on them do some incredible things, then you get clumsy dogs (like mine) that will come home from a simple walk with holes and marks on them.

My point is that in my opinion (and I do have them lol) working dog shows are for working dogs.

I do practise what I preach too, I had qualified for the N. Wales Ch. class at a recent show, I thought (wrongly) that it was a Bull X class only, once I saw the other dogs in the class I realised it was very likely to be a "pretty dog" class, so I ducked under the rope and went for a cup of coffee (and yet more cake!)

However ........ had it not been for the rain I would have happily put my dog into the open show, in the Bull X class.

I personally always like it when a Judge asks quietly when going over a dog, "has it done much" or similar, it gives an extra chance for the Judge to get an idea which are the working dogs.

Just my thoughts ............ :)

Guest rocky4

the days have now sadly now gone were its about working dogs and im afraid its here to stay granted there are a few shows were there is a high percentage of working dogs you can look at a lot of lurchers at shows and you can see what they are bred for showing and racing which a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment out of if your happy then carry on but to me its very sad when you have to make things up just because you didnt get what you thought you should of sportmans ship fair play goes out of the window strong stuff is very strong minded and says what he feels sometimes this comes across the wrong way but he says what a lot of people think thers one thing you cant judge on the day and that is heart all the best may all your pies have enough crust and jellly and yes i am slighty over weight lol

Maybe there are some Judges around who judge faces and not dogs, and wouldn't know a good working dog if it bit them on the arse, there is no way on this planet that some of the OWNERS that take dogs into the show rings would be capable of working a dog, big fat birds huffing and puffing, how do they walk the fields?

I've seen with my own eyes some proper dodgy judges at certain shows.

But, D.W. isn't one of them.

i like the way you say birds !!!! what is it you never get a fat bloke showing a lurcher then ???