cuts and bites

Guest bracken boy

recently my lurcher had a nip by a fox so cleaned the wound with dilluted tea tree oil and then later salt water, ive heard people say they use dettol or tcp,

any other good stuff to use, [bANNED TEXT] r most of using?

bb.

A good clean out of cuts with dettol,tcp etc for normal cuts light bites.If the bite is deep or for a cut full of rubbish,dirt or tooth fragments etc treat with hydrogen peroxide force this into cut wait for it to bubble vigourously then rinse with salt water.If it needs it a penecillin shot or a coarse of tablets.A clean warm bed clean fresh water good food and light exercise.

This is how I deal with my dogs no casualties yet :D

• 1 month later...

I agree with the Hydrogen Peroxide, a vet put me on to it, but I always take a bottle of saline eyewash solution out with me when out with the terriers so I can give them a good clean straight away when knocked up, I also take a bottle of iodine solution, the gold label type that you can get from any equestrian outlet, smarts a bit, but stops a lot of swelling and I've used it on myself too.

for minor wounds and small bites salt water to clean and iodio povidone(betadine)and if needed penicilline shots.Hunting boars you will have big wounds that sometimes can damage vital parts of the body :angry: allways run to the vet.

sometimes boar wounds seem small and not dungerous but they can be deep and having pierced stomach or pneumos so better go to the vet any way.it's better to have the vet say"oh,it's nothing"then to see your dog die at home.

Guest rothbury ratter

I always carry Iodine and some cotton wool for use as swabs.

It is also ideal to carry a squirty bottle of salt water to clean away any debris first. :drinks:

yeah bracken boy tee tree oil is good for small cuts and rips, don't know if you guys get tee tree honey over there but i have used it over here for cuts and rips with good results cleans out all the shit and stops infection. most pokes from boars look harmless but can hide all sorts of nasties and need to be opened up and allowed to drain.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nutter

the aluspray is good for covering wounds such as wire tears that are open also used the cut heal and blue spray. washing out a mix of tcp and salt in luke warm water. for wounds that have been stitched apply sudo cream twice a day increases healing time also useful for bitches feeding pups to ease discomfort on teats.

Guest nutter

you do not put it on with a trowel and leave it there. you put it on a light coating when the bitch is resting away from the pups and let it dry in. also its when the pups are getting on a bit and hurting the bitch. i have used it on three separate bitches and it never done any harm. and dont be calling me a dickhead you cheeky f*****g wanker alright!

Guest nutter

if you had posted that in the first place with out delivering an insult i would have had no need to respond the way did. you have been having a go since i joined up and i will not bow out to anyone. i accept you point of view and agree its valid. though i have this tried and tested and it helps a feeding bitch so i can not see the harm in it. i hope our exchanges can be civilised in future.