12 months foxing?

I used a gun a few years back ,and unless your a keeper or someone protecting stock or gamebirds,i find this no sport at all.

To hunt them with a dog you feel you have outwitted them more and the challenge is better,i remember letting my son shoot one or two from the van we were in when calling them,he was only six and the fox remains right where you shoot it,no chase or fair sport for me,i think there are a lot of gun happy people out there,defenitely not hunters.

dont know why you wrote this here.......... i didnt ask.

i am sure there is a thread on the right and wrongs of "hunting" with guns, dogs, bow and arrow. best u look for that.

i hope u enjoy your "hunting" as much as i enjoy my vermin control.

Oh and what i call hunting, is taking my 270 to SA and tracking an animal for a few hours then releasing the lead and wacthing the animal "fall right where you shot it", theres nothing worse than having to call the dogs in to track it down, much preffer a clean quick kill.

and then a few beers to cool down, while the tracker prepairs the meat for the Braai.

but hey thats my opinion! which i normally keep to myself.

Yea GREAT SPORT!!! Shootin from cars gettin PISSED UP. . :angry::angry: Protect the game birds by all means get rid for landowners. But do NOT try an call this SPORT!!!! . .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right, i know i am going to be blasted to the rear end of this pole, but i am up to 17 this year and i bought my steyr 223 in septmeber at the midland game fair, so i still have a couple of months to go .............

so who's at the top?

game keepers included but in a separate pole (u lucky buggers) as us poor gits have to work and do this as a hobbie.

so 17 the start!

(going by u turkey farm guys, i expect 3 figures)

steyr

Well I have had 1 with my .243 mainly due to a restricted FAC, can't wait for that open ticket. I have been the lamp man for many others if that counts Steyr223? Totally agree with the SA thing, been there done it got the t-shirt (and you can never have to many t-shirts)

I used a gun a few years back ,and unless your a keeper or someone protecting stock or gamebirds,i find this no sport at all.

To hunt them with a dog you feel you have outwitted them more and the challenge is better,i remember letting my son shoot one or two from the van we were in when calling them,he was only six and the fox remains right where you shoot it,no chase or fair sport for me,i think there are a lot of gun happy people out there,defenitely not hunters.

i am sure there is a thread on the right and wrongs of "hunting" with guns, dogs, bow and arrow. best u look for that.

Oh and what i call hunting, is taking my 270 to SA and tracking an animal for a few hours then releasing the lead and wacthing the animal "fall right where you shot it", theres nothing worse than having to call the dogs in to track it down, much preffer a clean quick kill.

and then a few beers to cool down, while the tracker prepairs the meat for the Braai.

Yea GREAT SPORT!!! Shootin from cars gettin PISSED UP. . :angry::angry: Protect the game birds by all means get rid for landowners. But do NOT try an call this SPORT!!!! . .

I've just read through the whole thread,and,the only person to mention SPORT is you mate.The person that started the thread called it 'Vermin Control',so,best wind yer neck in cocker!

Well said martin :)

When I was keepering a large hill shoot I took 136 in one season from August untill April... always had that quiet spell between about may and july, until the well grown cubs came in from neighbouring fells and forrestry.

The foxes were taken using all legal methods, but I would reckon only around 1/4 (or less) were shot with rifle. Never got less than 100 per season on that ground.

Those of you who have come in to this section, to post on this thread about the shooting of Foxes and then moan about it are the exact same reason why Fieldsports are in a bad position in todays society.

No one sticks together, no one respects each others hobbies and so we are left with one aspect of Hunting already banned and the rest to follow.

Now, I respect those of you who wish to use Terriers in the pursuit of the Fox, the same as those who choose the Lurcher. I choose the Rifle/Shotgun/Trap or Snare.

But one thing is for certain, don't dare expect me to respect your hobby when you don't respect mine.

taken 27 from 1 farm another 11 off of another .and my day to day job as a pesti i cant even go there 37 from 1 street in wimbledon i just dont bother counting anymore only on the farms .urban foxes are a pain in the ass but its a liveing .

I've just read through the whole thread,and,the only person to mention SPORT is you mate.The person that started the thread called it 'Vermin Control',so,best wind yer neck in cocker!

Thanks martin!

just to point out........... where does it mention cars? I think that was JOEDOG shooting from his van, well actual letting his 6 year old using his firearm. I think its a little young, but hey!

And who is getting pissed up?

If u mean about a few beers before a Braai, then that isnt getting pissed up................... thats having a social drink after a good days "HUNTING"

and if you haven’t done that, then maybe u aint old enough!

and besides if you are so angry ... maybe its best you dont have a gun!

The aggression on this site from certain people has surprised me.

Considering i was out the other weekend with the BB’s and a couple of dogs, everyone did their part , what they enjoyed........... good day for the guns, dogs and the dog owners.

Thanks for all the totals its been interesting reading, and yes as i thought i am at the back............

Very poor year this year due to work commitments and my lamping buddy emigrating to Sweden.

up untill last year we were avaraging around 100 a year (out twice a week) on a very large commercial shoot where he was keeper. we used to take turns shooting until one miss then we swapped back.

last year he swapped to a new estate and we could only get out once or twice a month but still had over 30 together and he had a fair few on his own.

This year i've been kept really busy with the rabbits and haven't even kept a record but it's about 10ish.

I used to keep a record of how many I shot with the 223 and it is about 320 over the last 6 years so the rest must have fallen to either 243AI or 17Rem.

best morning 5, best night 7 (saw 13) best evening sitting up 3.

We were doing it for his lively hood but it seemed like sport to us, each to his own.

ATB, Ezzy

Hi i dont do as much as i used to as for loss of ground & struggling to replace it im on about 15-20 & count from 1st september to 31st august. This is all shot on my own ground & i dont snare just now but am into the sport of fox control from terrier work/lurcher to rifle & snare. Used to do alot of camping out at dens on the hill when hill keepering which pending on place could go on for months with cubs moving in where you started 3-4weeks ago.

game keepers included but in a separate pole (u lucky buggers) as us poor gits have to work and do this as a hobbie.

I think your'll find he called it a hobbie,he ment hobby but we get the drift. ;)

Very poor year this year due to work commitments and my lamping buddy emigrating to Sweden.

up untill last year we were avaraging around 100 a year (out twice a week) on a very large commercial shoot where he was keeper. we used to take turns shooting until one miss then we swapped back.

last year he swapped to a new estate and we could only get out once or twice a month but still had over 30 together and he had a fair few on his own.

This year i've been kept really busy with the rabbits and haven't even kept a record but it's about 10ish.

I used to keep a record of how many I shot with the 223 and it is about 320 over the last 6 years so the rest must have fallen to either 243AI or 17Rem.

best morning 5, best night 7 (saw 13) best evening sitting up 3.

We were doing it for his lively hood but it seemed like sport to us, each to his own.

ATB, Ezzy

hey ezzy,

i like the idea of the 1 miss and your out, it keeps your eye on the ball. my mate drives from oldham every weekend to go shooting, and it always seams to be me on the rifle and him lamping, so yes ............. like my miss spent youth on the pool table in the local pub! winner stays on!

steyr

55 my first year, 35 my second year, 46 (I think) this year. I go from October to June. Taken with a combination of .223, 12ga and rarely a .22lr.

I know that man...where have you been John??????

Anyway, I usually do between about 30-50 a year, this year has been particularly quiet on the fox front up to last Sunday when I had 4 and Tuesday when I had another 6. Was hoping for more on Wednesday but ended up in the middle of a land dispute with owner and tennant so I beat a retreat and let them get on with it! Out again tonight so who knows, plenty about at the moment though, often playful/experimental/inquisitive cubs!!