young dog

my inlaw has a 9 month jack russel type terrier, (her mother who is a jack russel had a fling on the beach) 1st trip out with her.

she's a little timmed, wont dive through a hole in the fence or gate she sits there waiting ..... until i drag her through.

2nd, shot a rabbit, it squelled, she just looks at me!

3rd shot a fox cub, didnt kill it, put her in the hedge where it was, she had a sniff and came out.............

dont want her to be a killer, as she plays with my little 3 year old, would like her to be like most jack russels, keen for the chase, and good on a rough shoot.

any advice welcome

cheers

steyr

You are going about it all wrong & she is still a pup & by the sounds you havent helped her come out her shell as a puppy & she lacks confidence & experiance. Try & get her out with some other terriers on rats to start her off & let her whatch the others. Let her mill around with the others & she will see the others going daft on the rats & want to join in her self after 10-15min even if its a dead rat & she is still warrie of it. It may take her some time to come out her shell & a few rat trips to gain confidence but you need to know how to make them it dosent just happen.

yer a gd lil bit of advice there a dog will be what you put into it ya carnt take a dog out a think it will no what to do you have to egg it on a bit make it confident biteing things an giv her lil pat on the back when she dose so she nose shes doin right shes onli 9 months lad still only young tha gd luck any way

new lurcher :)

yer a gd lil bit of advice there a dog will be what you put into it ya carnt take a dog out a think it will no what to do you have to egg it on a bit make it confident biteing things an giv her lil pat on the back when she dose so she nose shes doin right shes onli 9 months lad still only young tha gd luck any way

new lurcher :)

Thanks for the advice, because shes not mine, i dont see her that much, i know what you mean about egg it on a bit, because she with a 60+ year old woman, she getts the walks but not the play fighting that she probably needs.

my own dogs (when i had them) were play fighting from a pup, so they got stuck in early on............ but now u guys mention it it makes sense.

i may bag a rabbit and drag it round a bit, get her playing.

dont know anyone with other dogs, and shes timmed anyway....... the hunt of a rat maybe too much for her, u know tail between legs and circuling your feet.

cheers guys

steyr