Which Spring Traps are legal

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Good link John, stops people going off on the wrong track... :good:

It makes me wonder, looking at that list and considering the need to show it in a place like this (Please don't misread the intonation of that last - I firmly believe there Is such a need. Part of my point) just how many of the younger lads today have read it before. Have any idea about it's existance. Know which traps may be used - apart from simply assuming those on sale on the usual web sites are ok. And. saddest part of all; Would even know a " Lloyd Trap " if one were to beat them over the head with one?

Trap Collecting seems to be all the rage right now. Those boys would know their stuff. But I'm here, using things like the old Juby and Imbra traps (perfectly legal on both sides of the water) and heard, only last night, of a local man who's simply never given up his twin sprung Gin Trap. (And guess who's catching more mink! :rolleyes: )

But I'm thinking about this 'Directive' we have sweeping the globe right now. I wonder if it'll cause a reshuffle? Will someone in that ivory tower look out and realise the only Sawyer Traps are now cherished collectables and that a 'Fenn Mk 1 Vermin Trap' is as likely as a three headed rabbit ~ and remove them from the list?

They'd may as well do. These old traps - practically speaking - pretty much 'don't exist' any more. Those that do are highly unlikely to ever be used again as they're pretty well antigues now. But I personally just feel it'd be a crying shame to see those wonderful old names disapearing. And such old time traps marred with the image of being " Illegal ". Once they're illegal they become, in the public conciousness, 'Cruel'. And that'd be a shame :(

Guest Nightwalker

I use some perfectly serviceable older traps as well. I have killed no end of rats and similar with my collection of old Fenn MkIII traps and my Fenn Rabbit traps are going strong as well.

Edited by Nightwalker
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

well spotted - they get renewed each year and as government agencies change the documents get moved around the web.

This is the 2007 variation (i.e. added new traps) http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20072708_en_1

This is the 1995 original basis of the order (i.e. all the traps originally included and still on)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19952427_en_2.htm