how good are mtc scopes?

the age old addage of scopes,

buy the best you can afford, and if a new quality scope is outta reach then buy a quality second hand......

you will replace most cheap branded scopes on a centrefire, a total waste of money,

buy once cry once........ :yes:

the age old addage of scopes,

buy the best you can afford, and if a new quality scope is outta reach then buy a quality second hand......

you will replace most cheap branded scopes on a centrefire, a total waste of money,

buy once cry once........ :yes:

Plus one with Snap Shot

Your rifle is only as good as the glass that it wears.. Usually

Swarovski, Zeiss etc. They're all very very expensive but you deffinetly get what you pay for.

As for the MTC, some people find the crosshair to cluttered and unnecessary for deer. Also, they have very large turrets on them and I know people who have had difficulty fitting them in cabinets. But depending on how many rifles you have in your cabinet you can turn the rifle sideways.

The Falcon Menace scopes have better glass clarity I think and aren't too pricey, however they also have quite large turrets on them and they don't lock into place, unlike the MTCs - so its quite easy to knock your zero off.

Edited by SharpShooter14

I know Gary and Sammy (MTC) and talked with them at length about the design when they came out (i've got two), they'll be the first to admit the the construction wont light any skies up but they had a particularly good guy head up the glass project which is what counts, as far as i'm concerned optically the scopes are worth far more than you pay (IMO)

Hope this helps

(N.B. i also own Zeiss and Swarovski)

Martin

• 1 month later...

I might be dragging this one up again but i currently have an mtc mamber on my 22.250. the mamber was apparently built to address the issues of tall target turrets etc. on the mtc viper. this one has very low profile turrets and a handy spare battery holder located in the windage cap.

As for the reticle, it does not have the busy multi aim system of the viper, it has 3 thick posts with a fine cross hair passing through and a small illuminated dot in the centre which represents about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch at 100 yds. I put it on the rifle as a temp scope whilst saving for something better and it has now been on for about 18 months. i have taken roughly 80 foxes with it in that time and can say that i only ever use the illuminator on the first or second setting as i find any more than that and there is a red glow reflecting on the inside of the glass which can obscure the target.

more recently i have noticed that i can see the tip of the l.e.d. that lights the reticule. this may be because ive used it a fair bit and i am being paronoid or it may be that it has just shifted through use. what i do know is is it does tend to distract at times. i am currently looking into changing the lighting unit to a green one as i find (for my eye) it contrasts better against a red filtered lamp light.

as for light gathering and glass quality, ive only really used it with artificial light however, when i have sat out on the bales at dusk i found it usable although I probably had to concentrate a bit more to get contrast and definintion as the light really dropped away. i have found also that the outer edge of the fov is a little hazy rather than the consistant sharp images of the top end scopes.

parallax adjustment is a bit of a let down and i never use it for range judgment just a bit of fine focussing. I tried using as prescribed on the tin but gave up. for holding a zero, no problems at all. I cannot fault this scope for zero retention. the rifle is moderated so will not recoil as much as if on an un mod rifle but for me i can touch all my rounds (fed 55g nosler) at 100yds and ive only adjusted it twice (once after a knock) for fine tuning. I use this scope with the extended sun shade attached as i found it would tend to white out during lamping. although this hasnt prevented the occassional white out, it does seem to have reduced it but at the cost of some light gathering which is probably negligable.

finally the field of view is ok. i am not searching for the target through a drainpipe even on 16x mag. for me, i just put it to my eye and the target is there with little to no adjustment so from a working point of view i would say the fov is fine.

my assessment of this scope is one of some surprise due to the fact that it is still on the rifle. it does the job as i have proved time over with a tidy kill at 325 yds (References available) and is good value for money however; i think that you do get what you pay for and with zeiss, swarovski etc. glass i believe that target aquisition through contrast and definition is obtained with less eye strain and focussed :):) concentration. I do intend to change this scope next year however ive not been in as much of a hurry as i thought i would be. i will probably put it on the rimfire just so it is still in use. in closing, i wouldnt use a an mtc on my stalking rifles as i dont think that are suited to a woodland stalking environment and i beleive that the range was developed with a more tactical/target focus of use however i could go on you would switch off if you havnt already. I hope this has been of some help, i am no expert on rifle scopes and write this thread only from having direct experience of the MTC.

regards

WG

I might be dragging this one up again but i currently have an mtc mamber on my 22.250. the mamber was apparently built to address the issues of tall target turrets etc. on the mtc viper. this one has very low profile turrets and a handy spare battery holder located in the windage cap.

As for the reticle, it does not have the busy multi aim system of the viper, it has 3 thick posts with a fine cross hair passing through and a small illuminated dot in the centre which represents about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch at 100 yds. I put it on the rifle as a temp scope whilst saving for something better and it has now been on for about 18 months. i have taken roughly 80 foxes with it in that time and can say that i only ever use the illuminator on the first or second setting as i find any more than that and there is a red glow reflecting on the inside of the glass which can obscure the target.

more recently i have noticed that i can see the tip of the l.e.d. that lights the reticule. this may be because ive used it a fair bit and i am being paronoid or it may be that it has just shifted through use. what i do know is is it does tend to distract at times. i am currently looking into changing the lighting unit to a green one as i find (for my eye) it contrasts better against a red filtered lamp light.

as for light gathering and glass quality, ive only really used it with artificial light however, when i have sat out on the bales at dusk i found it usable although I probably had to concentrate a bit more to get contrast and definintion as the light really dropped away. i have found also that the outer edge of the fov is a little hazy rather than the consistant sharp images of the top end scopes.

parallax adjustment is a bit of a let down and i never use it for range judgment just a bit of fine focussing. I tried using as prescribed on the tin but gave up. for holding a zero, no problems at all. I cannot fault this scope for zero retention. the rifle is moderated so will not recoil as much as if on an un mod rifle but for me i can touch all my rounds (fed 55g nosler) at 100yds and ive only adjusted it twice (once after a knock) for fine tuning. I use this scope with the extended sun shade attached as i found it would tend to white out during lamping. although this hasnt prevented the occassional white out, it does seem to have reduced it but at the cost of some light gathering which is probably negligable.

finally the field of view is ok. i am not searching for the target through a drainpipe even on 16x mag. for me, i just put it to my eye and the target is there with little to no adjustment so from a working point of view i would say the fov is fine.

my assessment of this scope is one of some surprise due to the fact that it is still on the rifle. it does the job as i have proved time over with a tidy kill at 325 yds (References available) and is good value for money however; i think that you do get what you pay for and with zeiss, swarovski etc. glass i believe that target aquisition through contrast and definition is obtained with less eye strain and focussed :):) concentration. I do intend to change this scope next year however ive not been in as much of a hurry as i thought i would be. i will probably put it on the rimfire just so it is still in use. in closing, i wouldnt use a an mtc on my stalking rifles as i dont think that are suited to a woodland stalking environment and i beleive that the range was developed with a more tactical/target focus of use however i could go on you would switch off if you havnt already. I hope this has been of some help, i am no expert on rifle scopes and write this thread only from having direct experience of the MTC.

regards

WG

please ignore the smiley faces!!!