i am still looking into gettin my own licence and gun etc as i am enjoying going with the farmer more and more.

i was thinking are 410s any good for pidgeons and rooks etc and any good for the odd fox dispatch? or am i better off going with a 12g .

another question which has probably been done to death. but can anyone recomend a low budget starter gun

i have looked before at the baikal o/u 12g but never got the try one out

thanks in advance

rob

personally, go to a gun shop, with a buget and see which guns fit you. The best gun you will own will be the one that fits you the best. ;)

the whole budget thing is taking a kicking to the sound of £100 pounds due to the gun cabinet. does anyone know where i can get a second hand one from? only a 2/3 gun thing.

get a 12 most definatly, what sort of budget are you looking to spend. i have said this many times beofre, mirokus/brownings are some of the best cheapish guns you can buy, my dad has a second hand one with a custom made stock on it for under £1000! if you have a grand or a bit more to spend then get a Beretta.

get a 12 most definatly, what sort of budget are you looking to spend. i have said this many times beofre, mirokus/brownings are some of the best cheapish guns you can buy, my dad has a second hand one with a custom made stock on it for under £1000! if you have a grand or a bit more to spend then get a Beretta.

ok put it this way, i'm a student and i work saturdays i was thinking of more around the £300 ish mark i know this is very cheap but i also know that it is possible to get good guns for that price because i regularly use one that was when out with the farmer

ok put it this way, i'm a student and i work saturdays i was thinking of more around the £300 ish mark i know this is very cheap but i also know that it is possible to get good guns for that price because i regularly use one that was when out with the farmer

check this out then

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...+909&Filter[NewType][]=Shotgun&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Over%20and%20Under&Filter[Calibre][]=12%20gauge&Filter[Condition][]=S/H&Filter[Make][]=Baikal&Filter[Make][]=Beretta&Filter[Make][]=Bettinsoli&Filter[Make][]=Browning&Filter[Make][]=BSA&Filter[Make][]=Fabarm&Filter[Make][]=Gamba&Filter[Make][]=Lanber&Filter[Make][]=Lincoln&Filter[Make][]=Midland%20Gun%20Company&Filter[Make][]=Miroku&Filter[Make][]=Webley%20%26%20Scott&Filter[Make][]=Winchester

also run your own searches on guntrader to chose everthing you want.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...+909&Filter[NewType][]=Shotgun&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Over%20and%20Under&Filter[Calibre][]=12%20gauge&Filter[Condition][]=S/H&Filter[Make][]=Baikal&Filter[Make][]=Beretta&Filter[Make][]=Bettinsoli&Filter[Make][]=Browning&Filter[Make][]=BSA&Filter[Make][]=Fabarm&Filter[Make][]=Gamba&Filter[Make][]=Lanber&Filter[Make][]=Lincoln&Filter[Make][]=Midland%20Gun%20Company&Filter[Make][]=Miroku&Filter[Make][]=Webley%20%26%20Scott&Filter[Make][]=Winchester

also run your own searches on guntrader to chose everthing you want.

thanks mate looks like a good site, i am going to go to avalon guns in street tomorrow to have a look at whats around and get the freeads to look for a cabinet and a new kitten lol. if i can get a cabinet i will apply for my licence and everything. i was offered a cheap pump action (he thought it was 4 shot it was his mate selling) 4 shot pump action 12g early, has anyone got any experience of this type of gun and is it legal on a shotgun certificate?

Edited by ellir0305

no, its not legal on a shotgun certificate, you need a FAC for anything above 3.

just looked at avlon guns's website and they seem pretty expensive.

http://www.avalon-guns.com/gundetail.php?STOCKNO=59451

this was the most suitable gun i could find for you, but going by the price it will be in poor condition, but still worth a look. brilliant guns remmys are, i used to have one. only problem is sometimes they dont like lighter cartridges, they will cycle 28g+ ok but not much less.

i am still looking into gettin my own licence and gun etc as i am enjoying going with the farmer more and more.

i was thinking are 410s any good for pidgeons and rooks etc and any good for the odd fox dispatch? or am i better off going with a 12g .

another question which has probably been done to death. but can anyone recomend a low budget starter gun

i have looked before at the baikal o/u 12g but never got the try one out

thanks in advance

rob

got an old but clean sbs 12g baikal non ejector you could have for 50 quid but am in essex so you'd spend more than that on petrol

thanks for the offer but its a hell of a long way

well i went to avalon guns today and they have a small range of guns in my price range and its their open weekend jjust coming which i am now cordally invited to (sounds posh) where i can try out any of the guns i like and he said they useally get loads more of my price range in through parts exchanges, the guy was really helpful so yeah im gonig to the open day sunday to see what i like. i found the molevalley do brattensound cabinets for £85.05 ex vat which we can claim back because of the farm.

well i have started filling in my application i have found a countersignatory and im looking at possible guns tomorrow the wheels are in motion.

thanks guys

rob

E bay for the cabinet. I got a 5 gun with ammo safe brattonsound for £50......... had to collect it but that was no prob.

If you were budgetting £300 for a gun you'll have no trouble picking something up that is usable and if you buy from a dealer rather than privatly you should have some assurance that it is safe to use and does'nt have a dodgy past that will come back to bite you when you register it .

Dealers have loads of old side-by sides of undetermined "Spanish" origin that have come-in via part- exchanges and the sound but unrefined Baikal SSs feature on every other gunshop shelf . You'll be surprised at what sort of perfectly usable knock-about bargains can be had for £80 to £150 if you have a wad of notes at the ready .

There are good reasons that the 12 bore is such a popular calibre . Def go for a 12 bore , one that fits you and does'nt seen too heavy for you. Even if you are only spending a ton with him it is in the dealer's interests to help you with a bit of advice as you represent future custom. .410 has it's uses but not as an all-round gun due to the tiny amount of shot it fires and its short range.

£300 should buy you a cabinet ,usable side-by side 12bore of probably totally unremarkable make ,a box or two of cartridges with maybe enough left over for you to afford a years membership to one of the Shooting organisations like the BASC or similar which will give you access to help ,information and that all-important insurance !. Good luck.

If you were budgetting £300 for a gun you'll have no trouble picking something up that is usable and if you buy from a dealer rather than privatly you should have some assurance that it is safe to use and does'nt have a dodgy past that will come back to bite you when you register it .

Dealers have loads of old side-by sides of undetermined "Spanish" origin that have come-in via part- exchanges and the sound but unrefined Baikal SSs feature on every other gunshop shelf . You'll be surprised at what sort of perfectly usable knock-about bargains can be had for £80 to £150 if you have a wad of notes at the ready .

There are good reasons that the 12 bore is such a popular calibre . Def go for a 12 bore , one that fits you and does'nt seen too heavy for you. Even if you are only spending a ton with him it is in the dealer's interests to help you with a bit of advice as you represent future custom. .410 has it's uses but not as an all-round gun due to the tiny amount of shot it fires and its short range.

£300 should buy you a cabinet ,usable side-by side 12bore of probably totally unremarkable make ,a box or two of cartridges with maybe enough left over for you to afford a years membership to one of the Shooting organisations like the BASC or similar which will give you access to help ,information and that all-important insurance !. Good luck.

thanks for the reply, i went to the show today and had a couple of goes at clays with some guns i liked and i have decided what type i want. i tried a repeater which i only got 7/10 with and really didnt like the recoil feel of. but then a tried a o/u s/t ej which was lovely 9/10 clays completely abliterated even thuogh it was a right handed gun. i want one with a thin stock as well . anyway the guy said go back once i have my licence though apparently about 8 weeks!

i am getting my pictures tomorrow and my cabinet next week

:):D:)