No more stalking

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it started with the DSC courses and a lot of places will not let or consider you unless you have at least level 1, (surprised it has not become law yet) easilly attained with no reall previous experience, unlike most who have been taught by someone with a lot of experience and have followed them for a while until their first shot like myself, this is how I started and was lucky to know such people.

This comes as no surprise really, just another way for someone to justify their job.

Surely in some cases we need continuity accross the borders, so will this open the floodgates for Wales, Ireland and England to start and make their own rules and regs!!!

The comment it will affect only those who can afford to pay is unfair, a lot who enter the sport do not have the contacts to enter it any other way other than paying and a lot are not rich people either but ordinary folk.

It is just another way of heavily regulating and restricting the sport.

May be we need a good writer to inform the public of what is happening through the press i think JD should take a brake from his normal writings and get his teeth into this one. A article in the shooting time from the angle of the common man would certainly go down well.

May be we need a good writer to inform the public of what is happening through the press i think JD should take a brake from his normal writings and get his teeth into this one. A article in the shooting time from the angle of the common man would certainly go down well.

iI very much doubt if they would publish it. They are quite in with the "toff" deer brigade. ;)

this a quote from the SGA website about the current proposals.The big organisation's should be standing together on this one.

SGA concern over deer welfare

The Scottish Government’s proposal to abolish the close season for stags and allow them to be driven towards waiting guns by vehicles would immediately reduce wild deer to the status of vermin and see herds of iconic wild animals decimated on Scotland’s hills according to the Scottish Gamekeepers Association (SGA) which represents the country’s deer stalkers and wildlife managers.

SGA chairman Alex Hogg said it beggared belief that the Government would even consider the proposals for deer reform outlined in today’s Consultation for the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill, and warned that if they were implemented the general public would see deer killed at unprecedented levels and hills denuded of a cherished natural resource.

“By allowing deer to be shot year round, through the night and chased by vehicles towards waiting guns in order to increase the annual cull removes at a stroke the respect and reverence traditionally accorded to these animals by stalkers and wildlife managers,†Mr Hogg said.

“The close season is there for a reason. It allows these wild animals to rest at some of the most stressful times of year, particularly after the annual rut when they are exhausted and barely capable of running away. The public voted red deer as Scotland’s most iconic animal, and now our Government wants to kill them like rats. We fail to see where the much quoted “public benefit†is in that.â€

Mr Hogg added that the SGA had been working behind the scenes to change the minds of officials since January when the Deer Commission for Scotland (DCS) first raised the suggestion, but their views had been ignored.

“We believe that rather than abolishing the seasons they should be reinforced in legislation with no-one allowed to take stags within the current closed dates unless a serious problem was developing on protected land or human lives were being endangered in potential road accidents. And we have made it clear that night shooting requires the highest degree of skill in order to prevent animals being wounded. Only the most experienced stalkers should do this work, and only in exceptional circumstances,†he said.

“We would call on everyone to respond to the Government’s consultation and make it clear the measures being proposed are totally unacceptable in Twenty First Century Scotland.â€

[Well the SGA were very slow on this and the reason i was told is they were offered the new training being the biggest Org with the Scottish connection and there members Gamekeepers would get the cert with out a test. But the proposals go further than that they go into the central belt were there are no reds at all. Don't people realise that its not the males that create a population but the females and to cull them is the only real way of bringing down the level of deer.That is if we really have to many i don't think bring down the number to help the failing forestry industry who have been bankrupt for the last five years ever since they went stand alone. But the officials need to know were are on this and why we have a fecking mess in the countryside the forestry f****d up and now want paid highly to put it right have they even got what it takes i doubt it.

I am a gamekeeper member of the SGA wireviz and that a big accusation that we would get the new cert without a test. I feel if they do bring in a new test anyone who has the DSC2 should get grandfather rights anyway but thats my opinion.

I would advise anyone who has an interest in this to go to http://www.scottishgamekeepers.co.uk/sites...02009%20Act.doc and read themselves what the SGA are doing about the current Wildlife and Environment Bill without listening to rumours and hearsay, as a minority we all need to stick together and fight this to the end, hopefully together we can have a say in the outcome with no division in the ranks.

The SGA are wanting members opinions first so they can put up a winnable argument instead of just saying we don't want it because we don't like it.

Slagging organisations off is not the answer

Edited by scotrat

Unbelievable, is this not what was going on in the highland forests not that long ago, I remember people talking about the deer being driven into fences and then just slaughtered with any gun available good sport! what a step back in time.......

this a quote from the SGA website about the current proposals.The big organisation's should be standing together on this one.

SGA concern over deer welfare

The Scottish Government’s proposal to abolish the close season for stags and allow them to be driven towards waiting guns by vehicles would immediately reduce wild deer to the status of vermin and see herds of iconic wild animals decimated on Scotland’s hills according to the Scottish Gamekeepers Association (SGA) which represents the country’s deer stalkers and wildlife managers.

SGA chairman Alex Hogg said it beggared belief that the Government would even consider the proposals for deer reform outlined in today’s Consultation for the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill, and warned that if they were implemented the general public would see deer killed at unprecedented levels and hills denuded of a cherished natural resource.

“By allowing deer to be shot year round, through the night and chased by vehicles towards waiting guns in order to increase the annual cull removes at a stroke the respect and reverence traditionally accorded to these animals by stalkers and wildlife managers,†Mr Hogg said.

“The close season is there for a reason. It allows these wild animals to rest at some of the most stressful times of year, particularly after the annual rut when they are exhausted and barely capable of running away. The public voted red deer as Scotland’s most iconic animal, and now our Government wants to kill them like rats. We fail to see where the much quoted “public benefit†is in that.â€

Mr Hogg added that the SGA had been working behind the scenes to change the minds of officials since January when the Deer Commission for Scotland (DCS) first raised the suggestion, but their views had been ignored.

“We believe that rather than abolishing the seasons they should be reinforced in legislation with no-one allowed to take stags within the current closed dates unless a serious problem was developing on protected land or human lives were being endangered in potential road accidents. And we have made it clear that night shooting requires the highest degree of skill in order to prevent animals being wounded. Only the most experienced stalkers should do this work, and only in exceptional circumstances,†he said.

“We would call on everyone to respond to the Government’s consultation and make it clear the measures being proposed are totally unacceptable in Twenty First Century Scotland.â€

The problem i see is the professional advisors they have drafted in from BASC and the FC ETC are not deerstalkers but chaps who's job it is to RID THE COUNTRY SIDE OF DEER .When i worked a lease on the west coast the rangers i met had a zero tolerance to deer and would shoot them when ever they could lamps driven out and out of season.

Deer welfare dose not come into this at all. The forestry groups have brought this about them selves putting the country into debt in the process and now want moneys under a different guise because they cant get any more through the usual rotes.

How long can this go on for??

ive heard few gamies etc and thru word o mouth of certain areas ....""" dissnae matter if ts brown its down"

then hear from relaible sources about contract stalkers for FC just wiping areas clean in...and bullet placement etc is an after thought!!

i know we hearing oh numbers are up etc and culling !!!

im starting to hear stories from some folks bout areas they used to take just a couple from & "manage" ...that there are nowt left wiping them out!!!!

maybe im concerned over nowt but certainly dont want the "situation" going down the other way too late once x% has been wiped out

sauer

<_<