Average Hauls

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i quite agree drummer the problem is all the dips on a golf course dog dog is out of the beam so much and when they are focused :lol: on a rabbit thats all there is on there mind :ph34r:

i had a dog that was chasing a rabbit one night and ran into a cow laying down that took the dog by suprize ;) i can tell you

merle

Edited by merle
where i live in guernsey.........there are thousands and thousands of rabbits

I was over a couple of years ago.

Bass fishing from Hommett Point in the evenings, there were loads of rabbits behind me, a few black ones. I was between dogs then though.........

Over here, my last 4 lamping trips with my 15 month old bitch have resulted in an average haul of bugger all cubed. Went on the Golf Course across the road last night, started about 21:00, saw 2 rabbits about a foot out, and that was it. Mind you it was misty, bordering on fog.

When I got back, the next door neighbour told me that "The Committee" had PAID someone to lamp it with a rifle, looks like they'd done a good job! realmad.gif

Mind you, I'm on a promise from somebody who has some permission and knows what they're doing, so I should get her sorted on the lamp as soon as she stops breaking down. :D

Edited by smallmouth

well smallmouth did you catch any bass

and yes there are quite a few rabbit at fort hommet although they are quite differcult to catch there as they are quite shy but if you sit the with an air rifle you can quite easyly shoot a dozen or so in a couple of hours or on the lamp

do you come over much

i am also well into bass fishing i go off my dingy with rapalas

cheers

merle :D:good:

well smallmouth did you catch any bass

I only had one during the week, (apart from two I ate at Crabby Jacks :D ).

It was on the fly, I just took a 5 piece #7 fly rod, and a box of Saltwater flies.

But it was a decent one, I guessed around 4lb, definitely my personal best for sure. I've had a good few schoolies down Dorset, using a light carp rod to ledger rag off the shingle. But I digress, wrong forum. :good:

I've only been over to the Channel Isles that once, except a stop off on the Weymouth to St Malo ferry. Guernsey sounds like a potential lurcher "destination". It used to be the Isle of Man......

What's the Isle of Man like these days?

Edited by smallmouth
where i live in guernsey.........there are thousands and thousands of rabbits

I was over a couple of years ago.

Bass fishing from Hommett Point in the evenings, there were loads of rabbits behind me, a few black ones. I was between dogs then though.........

Over here, my last 4 lamping trips with my 15 month old bitch have resulted in an average haul of bugger all cubed. Went on the Golf Course across the road last night, started about 21:00, saw 2 rabbits about a foot out, and that was it. Mind you it was misty, bordering on fog.

When I got back, the next door neighbour told me that "The Committee" had PAID someone to lamp it with a rifle, looks like they'd done a good job! realmad.gif

Mind you, I'm on a promise from somebody who has some permission and knows what they're doing, so I should get her sorted on the lamp as soon as she stops breaking down. :D

I have always admired your honesty Smallmouth....it's a great shame that we live so far apart or I would most certainly of 'sorted' your Collie lurcher out 'on the Lamp',...but,.as you say,.it won't be long now,.and where you are heading should provide you with a good night's lamping.....I wish you well... :good:

Thanks Chalkwarren, I appreciated your kind offer last winter.

I try to "keep it real", even if my reality isn't that exciting. If the night time rabbits ain't there, then she can't run 'em, and so learning the lamp takes that much longer. There are places that'd be easier, but they're too risky, either for me :ph34r: , or the dog.........

Hopefully I've got a short cut this time.

Merle, I only found time to fly fish the rocks around the fort of an evening, cos I could walk it from the Vazon Bay apartments where we were staying. The best place seemed to be a narrow channel between the west side of the headland and a big offshore rock, the channel ran like a river when the tide was moving, and that's when I got the Bass.

I live in industrial South Yorkshire just off a road voted noisiest A road of 2002 :D. Breathing the air where we live was recently reported to be the equivalent of smoking 27 cigs a day, I'm expecting Gordon Brown round to collect the duty any day now......... :good:

smallmouth check this out is this where you were if it was the rock you can see on the right side at the end is called (la grande etat) this is a good gully to fish in

the secound pic is of vazon bay

merle

That's the side I mostly fished merle. The gully was about 2 thirds up toward the tip of the peninsula. There's the top 3 sections of a Redington wayfarer fly rod down there, but that's another story...... :D

Guernsey looked to be a good sort of place for a huntin' & fishin' man. Very agricultural, plenty of pasture, plenty of horticultural business, mild winters too I'd bet?......LOTS of pest control required I should think. :good:

A place to get your average hauls up, (well it definitely would mine anyway :good: ).

Didn't like the roads though, came back minus a wing mirror, courtesy of a mad Merc..... wacko.gif

Edit: One question, what's the ground actually like for a running dog? I never noticed, (well not like you do when you've got one).

Edited by smallmouth

alot of the fields are about an acre in size but the ground is soft and very runable each field holds about 30 rabbits on averidge you can take 4/5 from a field and they start getting abit shy but if you leave it for a week you get some more

there are still a few fields that have got no rabbits but thats life :good:

merle :D

Smallmouth....if you can drive i can give you plenty of locations where you can get a hatfull of rabbits...or other game if you wish.... ;)

Well I join the queue to get into Leeds every weekday, ;) it starts at Woolley Edge these days, realmad.gif but I'm not sure that qualifies as "driving"..... :good:

Thanks JD, any advice appreciated, a hatful of rabbits would be handy just now, and I'll drive for 'em if I have the time.

The most rabbits i have seen has been in grassington area in a place called "Parceval Hall"...have a look on an OS map and you willsee it...theres a little lane leading up onto the high ground...follow it until the walls give way to barbed wre fences...then head off down on the left hand side fields....we got 30 everytime......never got any hassle either....its a good place to start...but there are some other great places in the vicinity too....good luck...