Shooting Sticks

In this months Sporting Gun, there's a stalking article where the stalker is using a newish product, the quadpod sticks. Does anyone on here own a set or used them, if so, how thicks the dowelling? They look brilliant but at £69.00 plus £11.50 p+p! :blink: i reckon I could make something similar for alot less. Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sheamus.

Quadpod :laugh: seen these a good while ago. I suppose interesting to the beginner as well as pretender but in reality a poor choice for any one to make..

As are the commercially made tripod sticks which are pushed in various shooting magazine`s.

If you need shooting sticks go out and cut some yourself you`ll find it more rewarding in more way`s than one ;)

Forget the crappy green plastic jobbies too from B&Q in fact the user`s of these should be encouraged to fall on them face first for contributing to climate change :laugh:

Our Marty has seen the light just maybe a few more might follow..

Need some sticks??

sticks.jpg

£80 sounds a lot for a rest, best make one and try it out. Being a messer myself, I just use the one stick and find it does the job spot on for me, find what works for you and stay with it. :good:

Im going to give it ago anyway, I like the fact they double as a bipod and quadpod, plus you can use them sat down. Im going to my local builders merchants and try make them tomorrow, I'll post the final product! ;)

why not buy 2 bipods and use them to make a quadpod thing, i also saw that artical and the grouping with them was impresive. good luck if you make your own, will look forwad to seeing the pics

If you have shot a lot of things of single and double stick but find you are very unsteady and can afford the extra time weight and messing then the quad sticks are for you. If you want to shooting properly then a set of sticks is what you want and practice off them till your good enough to go deer stalking.If not don't shoot at an animal. ;)

If you have shot a lot of things of single and double stick but find you are very unsteady and can afford the extra time weight and messing then the quad sticks are for you. If you want to shooting properly then a set of sticks is what you want and practice off them till your good enough to go deer stalking.If not don't shoot at an animal. ;)

Have you tested the quadpod or is this just your experience of using sticks in general?

I have no problems using a bipod or single style sticks and have shot plenty of deer/foxes and rabbits with a variety of calibres at ranges sensible ranges, but with this quadpod your supposed to be able to shoot extremely accurately up to 150m stood up. Im curious and I want to test it out myself on some paper. :D

Anyone with a legal mind.....?

Before I actually have ago at making my own set, Im not breaking any copyright laws by doing this am I? they will be soley for my own use. Cheers, Woolly

Quadpod :laugh: seen these a good while ago. I suppose interesting to the beginner as well as pretender but in reality a poor choice for any one to make..

As are the commercially made tripod sticks which are pushed in various shooting magazine`s.

If you need shooting sticks go out and cut some yourself you`ll find it more rewarding in more way`s than one ;)

Forget the crappy green plastic jobbies too from B&Q in fact the user`s of these should be encouraged to fall on them face first for contributing to climate change :laugh:

Need some sticks??

sticks.jpg

them sticks in the bottom left dont look like there home made :o ya pretender you

Wooly i took a chap out one that had a similar type set up he was in fact a gun maker. He came up for a stalk and might i say his sticks were very impressive . They were the quad type and he said that he could shoot tight groups at 200 mtr . This same chap could shoot in comp,s 500 mtr target with ease after getting his portly body up some of the hill we got in to a nice buck he got on his sticks and hey the buck ran out 20 mtrs and stop so he lifted his sticks off the ground and stuck them in again only to find the deer moved again and so on. He through the sticks down and lay on a stone dyke and proceeded to half the deer into from about 120 MTR and had a job and a half cleaning out the beast while i looked on in amazement. :clapper:

Go make a set mate its your choice but why ask questions and when you don't get the answer you want you spit the dummy out. ;)

Guest Sheamus.

Need some sticks??

sticks.jpg

them sticks in the bottom left dont look like there home made :o ya pretender you

I could offer you a plausible excuse Aliboy like they were left behind by a client of even that i`d found them ;)

But in truth they were purchased by me near on six years ago and on the day that they arrived i cut the velcro fastening strap off. Pulled off the the rubber stoppers on the feet removed those silly plastic flange things that are apparently for stopping the things sinking right up to the foam handles :laugh:

I then removed the bolt that connected the two together and replaced it with part of a car tyre,lol and then put all the excess into there said storage bag and fecked it into the bin.

After half a dozen outings the stoppers inside the sticks which control the height regularly failed so what more can i say??

Apart from there wank not worth the money, a waste of time and i like everyone else deserve better..

Is that good enough for you :D

Edited by Sheamus.
Wooly i took a chap out one that had a similar type set up he was in fact a gun maker. He came up for a stalk and might i say his sticks were very impressive . They were the quad type and he said that he could shoot tight groups at 200 mtr . This same chap could shoot in comp,s 500 mtr target with ease after getting his portly body up some of the hill we got in to a nice buck he got on his sticks and hey the buck ran out 20 mtrs and stop so he lifted his sticks off the ground and stuck them in again only to find the deer moved again and so on. He through the sticks down and lay on a stone dyke and proceeded to half the deer into from about 120 MTR and had a job and a half cleaning out the beast while i looked on in amazement. :clapper:

Go make a set mate its your choice but why ask questions and when you don't get the answer you want you spit the dummy out. ;)

Not spitting the dummy out in anyway mate and sorry if my meaage came across that way; Im very grateful for your advice. You've just hit the nail on the head, the sticks may be brilliant at getting good groups on paper, but Im interested to see how they fair when actually out stalking, like your client found they could be abit fumbly setting up if a buck appears at closer range. :D

Need some sticks??

sticks.jpg

I could offer you a plausible excuse Aliboy like they were left behind by a client of even that i`d found them ;)

But in truth they were purchased by me near on six years ago and on the day that they arrived i cut the velcro fastening strap off. Pulled off the the rubber stoppers on the feet removed those silly plastic flange things that are apparently for stopping the things sinking right up to the foam handles :laugh:

I then removed the bolt that connected the two together and replaced it with part of a car tyre,lol and then put all the excess into there said storage bag and fecked it into the bin.

After half a dozen outings the stoppers inside the sticks which control the height regularly failed so what more can i say??

Apart from there wank not worth the money, a waste of time and i like everyone else deserve better..

Is that good enough for you :D

:clapper:

I can see the theory behind the quadpod but think its over complicated in a realistic stalking stiuation. Over uneven ground or firing up or down a hill you'd spend time faffing trying to get a stable position the deer rumble you :wallbash: (Plus theres extra material to carry and clap together). I've got some PoleCat sticks that i can adjust from sitting to standing where appropriate. They are light and well made but not exactly cheap.

Personally and others will vouch for this ,i dont use sticks prefering the long bipod .Before anyone says" but what about the shot over long grass sudden appearance of deer ".Well you just have to know how to read deer and get to a position you can shoot from or shoot freehand at close distance .You may have your way of doing things but my numbers speak for themselves :clapper: .