how do i set up decoy pattern

hi all

when setting up a standerd horseshoe pattern with the wind from behind how far do you place the first decoy from the hide then how far is each other decoy spaced.how wide is the opening of the shoe.how many decoys should be used.

eny help on this would be greatfull

many thanks :doh:

hi all

when setting up a standerd horseshoe pattern with the wind from behind how far do you place the first decoy from the hide then how far is each other decoy spaced.how wide is the opening of the shoe.how many decoys should be used.

eny help on this would be greatfull

many thanks :doh:

personal preferance is about 15 to 20 yds from hide to first deek but like i say personal preferance,

try a few feet between each deek and a gap at the open end of shoe of about 8'

i dont think theres any right or wrong aslong as your not setting yourself extreme ranges.

markb

Edited by plummer1

dont be scared to experiment or change your pattern....

try two diamond shapes with around 10 deeks in each 20 yard out in front and about 20 yard apart, your kill zones in the middle....

or maybe a tick shape or triangular with one side of deeks longer than the other, start again at 20 yards with your pattern, and the longest side your decoy may be as much as 50/60 yard out.... dont know if its fluke or what but this pattern has been good for me on windy days helping to funnel pigeons into the kill zone...

im out myself this weekend on some freshly drilled gamecrops ;)

shoot straight ;)

atb rich

dont be scared to experiment or change your pattern....

try two diamond shapes with around 10 deeks in each 20 yard out in front and about 20 yard apart, your kill zones in the middle....

or maybe a tick shape or triangular with one side of deeks longer than the other, start again at 20 yards with your pattern, and the longest side your decoy may be as much as 50/60 yard out.... dont know if its fluke or what but this pattern has been good for me on windy days helping to funnel pigeons into the kill zone...

im out myself this weekend on some freshly drilled gamecrops ;)

shoot straight ;)

atb rich

Good point - vary your pattern - generally to the wind conditions

Lets face it we are told by the experts to do a V or diamond formation - but be practical - we are not setting out decoys like the Red Arrows formation.

Have a look at undisturbed pigeons feeding - are they feeding in a V or tick formation? Are they all facing the same direction? What you probably will find (unless there are hundreds coming in) is that when on the ground a lot will feed in pairs so dont put your pattern out at regimented distances- try and make it as natural as possible.

What attracts pigeons to your decoys are two things - a food supply and pigeon movement - get a couple of flappers with a dead bird that you have thawed out from the freezer the day before. Make sure that the white band on the necks on your plastic decoys is prominent - paint it bigger if need be.

Finally, the secret of a good days pigeon shooting is to get out the day before and watch from a mile away which direction the pigeons are coming from and what part of the field they are favouring. After feeding in the early morning and then leaving to drink/digest their food when do you start seeing them returning. Frankly, your chances of a good day are reduced if you role up at any time, set up your hide in the 40 acre field that is convenient to YOU and expect a fast and furious day. Do your homework - I usually set up my hide at last light the day before after the pigeons have moved away to roost - saves the fiddle faddle on the day. Oh and dont forget your carrier bag for the considerable amount of empty cartridges!

lots of good advice for you there from dicehorn, give it a try, be flexible in your approach and you shouldn't go far wrong.... ;)

there so many different variables on any given day, if you just sit in the hide with out making any chages you'll never know what might work or what didnt....

always remember what works one day, very nearly always never works the next.... you have a red letter day which for me was 77 pigeon and think your the next archie coates, :D go out again shoot bugger all... :angry: thats shooting, anything change, wind direction, cloudy, sunny, crop prefference.

atb assasin8or.

rich