Airgun ranges?

well said ghillies!!!..........we are of course talking "perfect conditions"......and we all know how often that happens !!!!

skill coupled with common sense is the order of the day.

my dad wouldnt let me go out hunting ( when i was a boy) until i could hit very small targets at various ranges consistently..........and all i can say to that is "thanks dad"........because it makes you think about your shooting which is what EVERYONE should do ALWAYS.

cheers

sean

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scuba1

Right I am taking the joking cap of now for a minute.

When I post things about aircraft carriers being sunk by a stray pellet i do that with a double helping of sarcasm.

Because when people post things like shooting rabbits at 100 plus yards there are two ways of thoughts that are inspired by those posts. There are some that are awe inspired and think what great marksmen there are on the forum and these people may just get the notion of trying things like that for themselves. Unfortunately, people entertaining those kind of thoughts are the ones that are still working their way through their first tin of pellets whereas the ones that have a few years of experience under their belt, take the more realistic approach and just think what a plonker that idiot must be to post oblocks like that.

Now I for one do hope that these long shots are just plain lies from some to get a virtual pat on the back from others and that is something I can live with and close the book at that point. If however these people actually have killed the odd bunny at the stupid ranges that they rave about, then at least be honest and also write about the ones that got injured and died a less humane way in the process if you have the balls to do that and take the flaming that you deserve.

Even better, sell the gun and just play with yourself under the blanket because you don't need a rifle to be a wan...........

And don't bother getting all up in arms and shout abuse at me because I just don't give a damn and am not that easily offended. But by all means try if it keeps you at the keyboard and off the fields its time well spent.

Just my two cents

ATB

Michael

When I post things about aircraft carriers being sunk by a stray pellet i do that with a double helping of sarcasm.

Because when people post things like shooting rabbits at 100 plus yards there are two ways of thoughts that are inspired by those posts. There are some that are awe inspired and think what great marksmen there are on the forum and these people may just get the notion of trying things like that for themselves. Unfortunately, people entertaining those kind of thoughts are the ones that are still working their way through their first tin of pellets whereas the ones that have a few years of experience under their belt, take the more realistic approach and just think what a plonker that idiot must be to post oblocks like that.

Now I for one do hope that these long shots are just plain lies from some to get a virtual pat on the back from others and that is something I can live with and close the book at that point. If however these people actually have killed the odd bunny at the stupid ranges that they rave about, then at least be honest and also write about the ones that got injured and died a less humane way in the process if you have the balls to do that and take the flaming that you deserve.

Even better, sell the gun and just play with yourself under the blanket because you don't need a rifle to be a wan...........

And don't bother getting all up in arms and shout abuse at me because I just don't give a damn and am not that easily offended. But by all means try if it keeps you at the keyboard and off the fields its time well spent.

Just my two cents

ATB

Michael

well said!! buddy

Listening to a conversation in my local gunsmith (known for his dry sense of humour) and the content went something like this:-

customer " took my rifle out onto the farm and couldn't hit a thing , there must be something wrong with it".

gunsmithy "is anything loose or rattles, have you changed anything since it was last in the shop, has it been dropped?"

customer " nothing rattled when i dropped it in the pickup yesterday"

gunsmithy "so you did drop it then"

customer "not by far"

gunsmithy "that might be the reason the scope mount is sheared off at the front then"

long pause

customer " might be. . . . , anyway it was shooting crap before that!"

gunsmithy "what sort of ranges are we talking about here"

customer " not too far, about twice the length of the sheds"

gunsmithy " how big are the sheds?"

customer " 35 yards"

gunsmithy " what were you shooting at?"

customer " a couple of woodies sat on top of the far shed"

gunsmithy " so about 70 yards"

customer " yep, about that, the only thing I managed to hit was the vent on top of the roof"

gunsmithy " how bigs that"

customer " why do you ask?"

gunsimithy " cause loosing off at 70 yards with a .177 spring rifle at a wood pigeon might be slightly too far for accurate shooting"

customer " can't be, I shoot fox at twice that distance with my 22"

gunsmithy " what 22 you got?"

customer " Savage 22 WMR"

gunsmithy " that has a little more power than your spring rifle" (he stresses the italic bit)

customer " can't be, I read in a forum that a 177 can drop rabbit at 100 yards so a piddling little pigeon shouldn't be a problem"

gunsmith " I see where your coming from!"

customer " can you change the mount"

gunsmith" no need, the mounts fine, it's the dovetail on the receiver thats been torn out, I'm afraid that short of buying a new gun, your basically knackered"

customer " so why all the questions?"

gunsmith " I like wasting time just like you did mine when you broke the rifle, couldn't see what you'd done, wouldn't admit upfront to what you had done, proved that you haven't got a clue, and believe what you read written by unknowns on a forum where oneupmanship and claims of the impossible are average reading material.

at this point the customer left and we went back to supping our coffee's.

I have heard rumours of a international arms dealer by name of AAron P.P. who wanted to sell them a Lightning XL launch facility but fortunately it went over the budget they had at their disposal for 2009. God help us next year

ATB

Shovel at the ready

Michael

OH NO! they've found out! quick....to the bunker!

Guest Scuba1
I have heard rumours of a international arms dealer by name of AAron P.P. who wanted to sell them a Lightning XL launch facility but fortunately it went over the budget they had at their disposal for 2009. God help us next year

ATB

Shovel at the ready

Michael

OH NO! they've found out! quick....to the bunker!

You should have thought of that before you try to sell weapon systems like that to politicly unstable regions.

Still digging

Michael

Just my two cents

ATB

Michael

Well Said I am only an apprentice and i still stand by the motto 'RESPECT YOUR QUARRY' if you can't stalk close enough then your Quarry deserves best.

Nature has prevailed and lives to see another day! :):):)

Guest Scuba1

Here is another line of thought. You hear people spouting of about their guns and how accurate they are and better then that make or the other.

Most modern PCP's will shoot one hole groops at 30 yards when strapped down in a vice so as to eliminate the human factor. Pellets are very law obiding little things and the only laws that they have to live with are the laws of physics and there is unlike in the hunting laws no grey area. So when you have a rifle that is adjusted to say, 11,5 ft/lbs, any rifle, that pellet is not going to give a fart as what make or model it is being fired from and once it has had a look over its shoulder to make sure the moderator is behind it, it will stick to the laws of physics no matter who has been elected to run the country.

Get a rifle that fits and that you are comfortable using by all means, I did that to but because I use a 410 my pellets don't fly flatter or faster then the ones that come out of a BSA Ultra or any other gun for that matter. Its just a comfort factor, no more, no less.

ATB

Michael

Here is another line of thought. You hear people spouting of about their guns and how accurate they are and better then that make or the other.

Most modern PCP's will shoot one hole groops at 30 yards when strapped down in a vice so as to eliminate the human factor. Pellets are very law obiding little things and the only laws that they have to live with are the laws of physics and there is unlike in the hunting laws no grey area. So when you have a rifle that is adjusted to say, 11,5 ft/lbs, any rifle, that pellet is not going to give a fart as what make or model it is being fired from and once it has had a look over its shoulder to make sure the moderator is behind it, it will stick to the laws of physics no matter who has been elected to run the country.

Get a rifle that fits and that you are comfortable using by all means, I did that to but because I use a 410 my pellets don't fly flatter or faster then the ones that come out of a BSA Ultra or any other gun for that matter. Its just a comfort factor, no more, no less.

ATB

Michael

9.81m/s2 thats all the pellet knows!

O and force x area :D

not sorted out the Leaf to bag ratio yet S1!!!

Guest Scuba1

ATB

Michael

I thought that it had something to do with the bloke who invented the cat flap and this apple thing. :)

Talk about ratios, the view to post ratio is not to good on this thread. I think that facts are quite scary to some members of the forum otherwise there would be more then 56 posts at 713 views. ;)

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1

ATB

Michael

I thought that it had something to do with the bloke who invented the cat flap and this apple thing. :)

ATB

Michael

Isaac was his name Newton or was it Hunt Never can remember LOL

look 2 a's in Isaac

Edited by CUPCAKE118
Guest Scuba1

ATB

Michael

ATB

Michael

Isac was his name Newton or was it Hunt Never can remember LOL

That's Isaac with two a's as on the cat flap patent.

ATB

Michael

ATB

Michael

ATB

Michael

Isac was his name Newton or was it Hunt Never can remember LOL

That's Isaac with two a's as on the cat flap patent.

ATB

Michael

sorry dad !!!!LOL P.S Scuba1 is not me dad

Edited by CUPCAKE118