Airgun ranges?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scuba1

Well Isaac Newton became famous for the invention of the cat flap. They where bound to stumble over this gravity thing sooner or later as its never switched off, not even on weekends.

ATB

Michael

There is however a kind of useful spin of for the military. Because the moderator that BSA deliver with their Ultras was found to be insufficient for air rifle use and most shooters have changed to a model from Weihrauch for their guns. BSA has now sold a batch for testing to the German forces because the 105mm howitzer they used for garden plinking was upsetting the neighbours from Oberfeldwebel Herman Knallkopf. But with the use of this slightly modified moderator the village can now sleep in peace.

Haubitzenschalldaempfer.jpg

ATB

Michael

Forgot to ask. What the hell is that thing in the pic??

Cheers.

Guest Scuba1
There is however a kind of useful spin of for the military. Because the moderator that BSA deliver with their Ultras was found to be insufficient for air rifle use and most shooters have changed to a model from Weihrauch for their guns. BSA has now sold a batch for testing to the German forces because the 105mm howitzer they used for garden plinking was upsetting the neighbours from Oberfeldwebel Herman Knallkopf. But with the use of this slightly modified moderator the village can now sleep in peace.

Haubitzenschalldaempfer.jpg

ATB

Michael

Forgot to ask. What the hell is that thing in the pic

Cheers.

That is a moderator used on the 105mm howitzer on a leopard 3 base they use it for practise when they shoot from one training ground to the next one thats miles away. They have to use a muzzle break, to keep the vehicle aligned and that brake is just to noisy to be used in peace times without a moderator on it.

ATB

Michael

Thanks for proveing my point.

PERFECT conditions, set range, no wind and the way the shots were hitting, if that's sub FAC, I'll eat my own sh*t.

Those conditions don't happen in the field. "Please Mr Rabbit, just sit still while I take a few sighting shots".

Come on.... It's not a pi**ing contest.

Cheers.

aiming three feet to the left at the 55 mark three rabbits inarow any good? lolol.. rarely rarely do you get them days with no wind, infact most people will feel strange as though somethings up when shooting in no wind at all lol... hours of practace for wind shooting...weeks of it. (as a biginer 30 yards is a serious shot...after 20 years it aint hitting it thats the problem its ho wfar is reasionable for the power...60 max here..on a good day.. 30 max on an exsuasted day...)

(now to reed the other two pages lol)

Thanks for proveing my point.

PERFECT conditions, set range, no wind and the way the shots were hitting, if that's sub FAC, I'll eat my own sh*t.

Those conditions don't happen in the field. "Please Mr Rabbit, just sit still while I take a few sighting shots".

Come on.... It's not a pi**ing contest.

Cheers.

aiming three feet to the left at the 55 mark three rabbits inarow any good? lolol.. rarely rarely do you get them days with no wind, infact most people will feel strange as though somethings up when shooting in no wind at all lol... hours of practace for wind shooting...weeks of it. (as a biginer 30 yards is a serious shot...after 20 years it aint hitting it thats the problem its ho wfar is reasionable for the power...60 max here..on a good day.. 30 max on an exsuasted day...)

(now to reed the other two pages lol)

That's the point, mate. It's totat bolox.

There are a lot of newcomers who'll look at this site, read some of the posts and take it all on board.

They don't have the experiance or skill to know any better, so they call the shots on what they've raad.

Those of us that have been doing this kind of thing for a while, owe it to them to keep it a little more real. We know the score and should pass it on.

Pop bottles at 100 yards?? Come on, keep it real....... Like I said before, IT IS NOT A P*****g CONTEST!!!

Cheers.

Here is another line of thought. You hear people spouting of about their guns and how accurate they are and better then that make or the other.

Most modern PCP's will shoot one hole groops at 30 yards when strapped down in a vice so as to eliminate the human factor. Pellets are very law obiding little things and the only laws that they have to live with are the laws of physics and there is unlike in the hunting laws no grey area. So when you have a rifle that is adjusted to say, 11,5 ft/lbs, any rifle, that pellet is not going to give a fart as what make or model it is being fired from and once it has had a look over its shoulder to make sure the moderator is behind it, it will stick to the laws of physics no matter who has been elected to run the country.

Get a rifle that fits and that you are comfortable using by all means, I did that to but because I use a 410 my pellets don't fly flatter or faster then the ones that come out of a BSA Ultra or any other gun for that matter. Its just a comfort factor, no more, no less.

ATB

Michael

hmmmm so say 30 yard zero, howed you know if your zero'd if you dont hit the pellet hole..? i recon heres where the problem starts and the weird myths start. The average doodey gets a gun, seen the movie where clint as the wild bill hichcock knocks uh injun off a galoping horse at a 'undred yards with his pistol... hmmmm three guessing how good the doodey is in his head.

on ariving at the range (or worse to shoot live stuff) and sets up at the bench..lets five off and notes how acurate it is, wow this is ace he sais, then after a while the shotgun pattern on the 20 yard target apears really ragged ans he has a brain wave! change the target!...

next faize come sinto play.....bong sias zebadee... why dont the pellets hit dead center? (cause it aint zero'd yet!!!) saids like a joke but when you dont know it's a lagit question.....here where the shit hits the fan, doodey is now told you cant hit anything past thirty yards, so logicly missing at 20 isnt that bad...

heres what happens at a real range..

the talk... ''have alook at the target (without even loading) what can you see? WHATS BEHIND THE TARGET...

next.. can you see the ret and the target clear? (omg!!! doodey just wants to shoot a rabbit at a mirrion yards away ffs??? whats all these stupid questions???)...

yup what behind the target!!

if the guy can actualy absorb the info he gets told told the reality of the sitiation, gets told how to mecanicly mount, focus and twidly the windage and the horizontal, AND WHY)..........

how to handle a gun, maintain it... and the most important how to tell a good set up..what a set up is....etc etc.

preferable before going through the blood lust.

heres how i learnt..... see that there? shoot at it till you hit it..

yu see that there? shoot it till you can see and feel where on it your hitting

you guessewd it, see that there? wack it with the most impact...see what it does......

after about 2 years i'd figured most of it... even how to fix the gun, alas i didnt know a yard from a meter.... only shooting to about 100 yards, btu gues how i found out you cant kill at some range, or some pellets wont go that far, even worse most wont go that far and hit anything...

in the mean time after donkies years doing it the hard way i actualy ge toff my arse and learn from some one who new the tecno stuff, like what a yard is lol.. facts and figures?.. seems your basics dictate how your can progress in set amount of time. in that set amount of time you pick up habits, htose habits hinder you and make you look like a dick when you try and talk about it... hense this dick learned the posh words only to find out wow! 12 month you could be shit hot... just by meating the right person at the right time.

then comes the political and social responcabilities of wha tyou can tell people, that generaly gets mixed up with how much money you make out of them along the way, sooo yu know...pot luck realy verses persistance.

here it is in a nutshel.

power...its legal limit... or fac.

for legal limit, you NEED the maths side of it, tragectry charts etc... facts and figures, why you ask? to save you years and a small fortune being exspoited into buying this that and the other.

when you look at a string of velosities taint hard to suss the numbers are different... thats the varience. weigh pellets, the numbers are different. the more the numbers are diferent the less acuracy distance you have.

after you suss the figures (without wounding loads) you get an idia that sort of follows the HFT or FT shoots, from 5 to 55 yards.(hmmm kill ranges if you can hit it).

from plenking abount you hone and tune into your own distances that you can hit at... as it happens 20 yards is a good starting point. as you mature as a shooter it soon gets to 30 yards.. the more time you put in the better you get. Alas.... some people are naturaly talented, some not so.

the whole thing revolves around truth to your self, or the accidents and troubles start when there is no truth to yourself.

that truth is are you safety contous, and can you hit it?.............the 'exsperience's' of killing is somethign you can only prepair for, the rest is you dealing with your own mind and contionce... you pulled the trigger no one else.

home work..balistics..practace. any of these three will let you know what YOU can do, be it in reality (with practice) or on paper before you practace.

(every bad shot you take adds to a worse shot at the end...if theres stuff you dont know about then it leaves you open to worse shooting and being exsploited as some tit to be ripped off... unless your lucky enough and some one can be arsed to put your right.).

i've known a fe wreally good shooters over the years, four or five where worth hearing in twenty years, the others disrispected themselves by 'damaging' my progresion so they could be better than me.(or any other they could put down,or make a profit out of). A few stayed stum for their own reasons.

today my shooting is shite....but in my past i've had some silly hot days...i know i can do better, but know why i'm not......practice.

after all that boring blurb... biginers 20 yards..

intermediates should be fairly good at 30 yards (certainly hoitting pellet holes on a zero set up) and 40 yards for regular three four day a week 'serious' shooter..right they way up to the more serious 'training' shooters that really can do the full 55 yard stuff and beyond.

two bits of info is all you need when you can shoot fluent

1......how far

2......is it safe.

the rest your either aware off, or just know by now, like windage...pellet differences or what ever.(these all add up to....can you hit it. or more inportantly is it killable when you hit it, not 'if you hit it').

bored yu pants off yet? lolol wheres your head at on the day lolol...