Airgun ranges?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really though, the whole point of all this is yes, maybe a truly first class shot useing first class kit, in PERFECT conditions, may be able to extend the envelope a little past the norm.

It gives totally the wrong impression to the newer lads and lasses to our sport when folks advertise their 'skills', and that's when things go wrong. No one with a right mind wants to wound, but if they've the idea that 'maybe, if I'm dead lucky, I might score'. Not good......

Just my thought's on the matter.

Cheers.

Andy. :)

Really though, the whole point of all this is yes, maybe a truly first class shot useing first class kit, in PERFECT conditions, may be able to extend the envelope a little past the norm.

It gives totally the wrong impression to the newer lads and lasses to our sport when folks advertise their 'skills', and that's when things go wrong. No one with a right mind wants to wound, but if they've the idea that 'maybe, if I'm dead lucky, I might score'. Not good......

Just my thought's on the matter.

Cheers.

Andy. :)

valid point..most newnies go out with a bang lol.. thinking this or that and then yup the shit hits the fan at some point, hense i make the point 'if you can hit it'.. most guns will do the 55 yard stuff on target.. some pellets are up to it.. but not that many people are....

ok 40 yards is the start of sniper class...be it the lower end, like a woodies head at 40 is a human head at 800 yards or something like that.

but... as with all things, if you limit some ones potential with a statement like 'oooo 20 yards maximum'.. the whole point is it is dangerous in the rong hands, but nothing like as lethal as is sugested in the right hands, end of the day you aint wiping out a macdonalds with one.. the odd death is the extreme stupidity... many more maims or stings are just as stupid.

30 yards is a zero range...so a starting point. if you cant zero through lack of skill theres your answer..you can't hit a kill shot.

then again if you never try on plenking you'll never know how good or bad you are or the gun set up is...

Edited by ghillies

Thanks for proveing my point.

PERFECT conditions, set range, no wind and the way the shots were hitting, if that's sub FAC, I'll eat my own sh*t.

Those conditions don't happen in the field. "Please Mr Rabbit, just sit still while I take a few sighting shots".

Come on.... It's not a pi**ing contest.

Cheers.

Hi' folks.

I've read a few rather, erm, bold claims about airgun's effective killing ranges in a few recent posts.

What do you think, chaps? Out to 96m as has been claimed? Or do you think that's maybe just a tad too far for a 12ft/lb airgun?

Your thoughts, please!

Cheers.

After seeing the videos on youtube, we decided to try it for ourselfs. Between a 100-110Yrds shooting of the Bi-pod with this:

DSC04792-1.jpg

It was grouping at around 3 Inch and penetrating a wooden post aprox 5-8mm

this was with around 24" hold over and a .177 pellet in still conditions, IMO this would drop a rabbit with a headshot

Belive what you like and rip me as much as you want ;)

Hi' folks.

I've read a few rather, erm, bold claims about airgun's effective killing ranges in a few recent posts.

What do you think, chaps? Out to 96m as has been claimed? Or do you think that's maybe just a tad too far for a 12ft/lb airgun?

Your thoughts, please!

Cheers.

After seeing the videos on youtube, we decided to try it for ourselfs. Between a 100-110Yrds shooting of the Bi-pod with this:

DSC04792-1.jpg

this was with around 24" hold over and a .177 pellet in still conditions, IMO this would drop a rabbit with a headshot

Ok. The clip said .177 HW100. The ammo shown was all heavy .22. Yes??

So you'd be happy shooting at live targets at 100 yards with a 3 inch group and stuff all impact??

It's not a f*****g p******g contest, ok?

Where the hell is your respect for you taget if you're perpared to take that kind of risk with it?

Answer that!

Cheers..........

Did i mention shooting it at a live taget? :no:

You answer that one Sherlock.

If you read the post properly i said IMO i never said i was going to try it did i? ;)

What you said was 'this would drop a rabbit with a head shot'. That's not the point is it?

So what are you saying exactly?

The whole point of this is what's the effective killing range of a sub FAC airgun, not what range you might be able to maybe hit a pop bottle.

Do you understand now, or am I being a little too obtuse for you?

Cheers.

Hi' folks.

Your thoughts, please!

Cheers.

DSC04792-1.jpg

ermmm does 120-140 yard woodies of wires seem posable sniggers i stopped as most fly off... probably becaue i wasnt head shotting hahaha... tisnt how far is it? its if you can kill it lol.

edit...5-8 mm... wander if that would jur stick in the skull at them tanges...a 72 yard head shot in .177 with a heavey pellet barely managed to finish the bunny...good BC too.

Edited by ghillies

the simple fact is that it is irresponsible to take a shot at any quarry further than 40 yards, you need to ensure a good, clean humane kill, if for ANY reason you can not gaurantee that, DONT shoot......any decent "hunter" will adopt this theory on every outing and will NEVER resort to potshots under any circumstances.

i do not and will never beleive that a sub 12 ft lb air rifle will cleanly kill a rabbit at 100yds simply because at that range the pellet will only have a velocity of around 2 ft lbs at the point of impact.......and this as we all know will NOT kill..........so please dont try.

come on guys keep it real and dont guess distances, if you have to, use a range finder.....you will be suprised just how far 40 yards is !!!!

all the best

sean

the simple fact is that it is irresponsible to take a shot at any quarry further than 40 yards, you need to ensure a good, clean humane kill, if for ANY reason you can not gaurantee that, DONT shoot......any decent "hunter" will adopt this theory on every outing and will NEVER resort to potshots under any circumstances.

i do not and will never beleive that a sub 12 ft lb air rifle will cleanly kill a rabbit at 100yds simply because at that range the pellet will only have a velocity of around 2 ft lbs at the point of impact.......and this as we all know will NOT kill..........so please dont try.

come on guys keep it real and dont guess distances, if you have to, use a range finder.....you will be suprised just how far 40 yards is !!!!

all the best

sean

i'm of the notion 4fp is the minimum requiremnt, but to be honest 5 fp's is the start of too little power. Dont forget that on monday you were hot on, on wednesday you couldnt hit youur mouth with the mint lol... your days will varey, so you need to know yourself as well as your shooting.

40 yards is a fair rabbit head shot, 45's a little further but a huge diference with the drop, again this is where the distance starts to show up the flaws in your shooting..at 20 yards if you skim the edge of a penny, at 50 yards you missed by a barn load.. every little bad habit/wind/pellet flaw/gun power inconsistance shot to shot is maximised by ever yard further... it really is a skill.

theres nowt rong in hitting where you can hit, be it a 5 yard rat shot (its a wee bit harder than yu think) or a 20 yard rabbit head.. you miss your fluck up.. no one elses.