Collie crosses for coursing ?

hello minion had 2 three quarter bred xs bothh very good rabbit dogs as to hares i ran one dog in doubled up competitions in norfolk suffolk and lincs.he won several stakes with his early pace but they are not fen dogs for big land i would go for a saluki x .regards INAN

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just registered and i'd like to say this is a very intresting site. Whilest I'm as keen as they come, I haven't kept lurchers for a long time still very much a novice. I hope I don't perster tomany people with silly questions, if i do, let me know. I am thick skined.

I thought i'd start a small thread off.

Here goes,

Has anyone has experiance coursing with collie crosses. I have a two year old three quarter grey one quarter collie that i'm hoping to try on hare this year. I relise that it is not the cross chosen by most coursing men, but I'm going to give it a go.

Has anyone had sucess with this cross? do you think that they can make the grade or not?

I look forward to your replys

Regards

Minion

hi minion, welcome to the site.nice to see you,ve received a few posts,i own a reverse threequarter fell collie, a quarter greyhound typp ratcher bred bitch,who has caught forty hares ,in the last two seasons, both in the daytime and on the lamp,collie crosses are allrounders, and not coursing dogs,which are kept on slips,and run by sight only,and are saturated by saluki blood.collie greyhounds,do take hares with regularity,especially in small pasture fields by using their brains to cut the hare off saluki and larger slower crosses, would struggle to get onto the hare.i agree with charlie c,with regards salukli crosses,if you go coursing and thats all you do well saluki,s will do the job.but you will have alot more sport with a collie cross than you will with a out and out coursing dog.regards collie john.

Hi minion :good: a good thread to start on and some good opinions too ive seen a lot of threequater colie crosses run and as was said before there sound for hunting up hares but for off the slip running by what ive seen stamina seems better in the thinner bred dogs some of the big greyhound types burn up really quickly

hi minion, welcome to the site.nice to see you,ve received a few posts,i own a reverse threequarter fell collie, a quarter greyhound typp ratcher bred bitch,who has caught forty hares ,in the last two seasons, both in the daytime and on the lamp,collie crosses are allrounders, and not coursing dogs,which are kept on slips,and run by sight only,and are saturated by saluki blood.collie greyhounds,do take hares with regularity,especially in small pasture fields by using their brains to cut the hare off saluki and larger slower crosses, would struggle to get onto the hare.i agree with charlie c,with regards salukli crosses,if you go coursing and thats all you do well saluki,s will do the job.but you will have alot more sport with a collie cross than you will with a out and out coursing dog.regards collie john.

that statement isn,t totally true. my own and a lot of other saluki saturated dogs that ive seen dont just sit behind a hare till it collapses, they run very clever and can kill hares in small fields as well as any other type of lurcher. if you,ve ever seen a saluki x boxing a hare of cover you will no were im coming from. especially in the small pasture fields you mentioned :good: