chav gundog

Been out this morning popping a couple rabbits off for the dogs, fezzers, humans (in that order). I had with me my 1year old, still in training staffy bull who has been going out into the field for about three weeks with some cracking retrieves both blind and marked in that time but this morning took the biscuit. shot a rabbit at bout seventy five to eighty yards out the dog couldn't see the rabbit when i shot it. i sent her out blind and she fetch the still alive rabbit from dense cover in a ditch i was surprised it was still alive as it was a text book heart lungs shot but not a mark on it from the retrieve what a dog (for a staffy) will post pictures later of other retrieves!!!

post-26552-1243273889_thumb.jpg

Edited by mushroom
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just been to see roger at kirkham gundogs with the staffy and his exact words wer "f#cking hell i've never seen a bull terrier doing a spaniels job before, i'm gobsmacked she's got something about her she has" :yahoo::drinks: :drinks: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

u should give yer dog a txt book shot because that would never do a spaniels job

regards john

Now now this is supposed to be a lighted hearted topic :D at 13 months old mate she'd put a gud un up against most dogs her age. i'm not saying she's a ftch but she can hold her own in the field and i'm proud of her. :clapper:

u should give yer dog a txt book shot because that would never do a spaniels job

regards john

Prat.

Mushroom good on you for getting out there and doing something with your dog, be interested to hear how the training goes.

i'm out shooting later will try and video from the shot to the retrieve but as i am on me own i ain't promising an oscar just a hard working dog ;)

Edited by mushroom
i'm out shooting later will try and video from the shot to the retrieve but as i am on me own i ain't promising an oscar just a hard working dog ;)

Be nice to see, but you have nothing to prove to the doubters. A hard working dog regardless of breed is in my eyes a good dog, and it's yours that's what matters. ;)

thats it a strong healthy working dog it's all you need, me and my little mo are best pals. i knew before i posted this i'd be looking at some stick but i couldn't give a monkeys at end of the day i've seen her working, people that matter have seen her working so as you said i aint got nothing to prove neither has the dog we're a good team. when she's neatned off she'll be a cracking dog. definately one to put a smile on any countryman or womans face :clapper:

I had a stafford as my gun dog for a few years...keen little thing and a godsend on water

Good on you fella for getting out there and doing a bit.

:signthankspin: she's the same a really good nose, and dosen't give a sh#t about water even to the point her head is completely submerged and she's trying to minnows (funniest thing to watch ever besides that collage of george w bush gaffes on youtube) Her training started as a bit of a let's have fun and see thing but after seeing her prey drive/hunting abillity and mates who own springers saying that she could be a good up, i did research, up'ed her training and now she's at a level where i trust her to do the job in hand. :good: she's still got some whistle and hand signal training to do but hopefully she'll get it and we'll be there.