Scope Preference: Fixed or Variable Magnification

39 members have voted

1. 1. Whats Your Preference.

• Fixed
    • Variable

What brought this about was i just dug out an old scope of my late grandad's (i think its an old doctor) and whacked it on my gun, i have always used variable magnification with mil-dots, this one is a 4x32 with 30/30 and i love it so clear. so i'll zero it properly soon.

Just wonering what everyone else prefers fixed or variables magnification (and range if variable)

Thanks guys.....and gals.

Joe

Guest busterdog

Variable every time, it gives you the best of both worlds, you can take all the magnification out for large Field of view and you get to zoom in on long range varmints. :clapper:

The thing that screws me up is when lamping i change the magnification and get thrown out by the mil-dots aiming too high or too low as the POI changes. so i figure stick with one mag.....keep it simple for a simple mind.

What brought this about was i just dug out an old scope of my late grandad's (i think its an old doctor) and whacked it on my gun, i have always used variable magnification with mil-dots, this one is a 4x32 with 30/30 and i love it so clear. so i'll zero it properly soon.

Just wonering what everyone else prefers fixed or variables magnification (and range if variable)

Thanks guys.....and gals.

Joe

For what it's worth the sniper in Afghanistan who took out a Taliban machine-gunner at 2657 yds used a 16x fixed Leupold. I've done a lot of photography and I HATE ZOOM LENSES.

RicW

Zooms are good BUT most are set to max and never moved again .

Fixed is my preference for a hunting rifle , i have a zoom on the .22rf but its at max zoom and has been for 20 years.

I have a zoom on my range rifle though and it sometimes gets moved but not often.

RicW, what sniper in Afghanistan ? a mile and a half taking out machine gunners !

Where has this come from ?

What regiment was he from ! with a .50 maybe ? if he zeroed it the day before at that range !

Fixed are fine i use a meopta 7X50 on my .17HMR,

On my .308 i use a Schmidt & Bender ! taken off a sniper rifle !

RicW, what sniper in Afghanistan ? a mile and a half taking out machine gunners !

Where has this come from ?

What regiment was he from ! with a .50 maybe ? if he zeroed it the day before at that range !

Fixed are fine i use a meopta 7X50 on my .17HMR,

On my .308 i use a Schmidt & Bender ! taken off a sniper rifle !

Chalky, the sniper was http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/2524516

I use a fixed mag for stalking, 7x50 S&B and it does everything that i need. But would I like a S&B PMII, yes! But I can't afford one. If you are foxing or long range shooting I think it must be an advantage to have a higher mag.

ft

Thanks Flytie,

I served in Afghan, 2001 afetr 9 11, 2005-06, again in 2006, & 2008,

As a sniper 06 & 08. i,ve not seen that before but i thought .50 and not of the one shot one kill ethos. 3rd time lucky by the sounds of it.

pretty impressive tho all the same....................

Bit of a trauma tho patrolling for days with a .50 Cal and Chubb !

Guest busterdog

I use a Schmidt & Bender PM11 5x25x56, as I've said variable gives you the choice, if you're stalking have it set at 8x56, but if you're out lamping Charlie, then you've the choice to pull them up real close.

The only draw backs i can see are, the weight and when you've got full zoom on it narrows the field of view so much you struggle to find a moving target.

I never keep mine on max zoom.

Zooms are good BUT most are set to max and never moved again .

Fixed is my preference for a hunting rifle , i have a zoom on the .22rf but its at max zoom and has been for 20 years.

I have a zoom on my range rifle though and it sometimes gets moved but not often.

This is news to me and a lot of other people I'm sure, would you be kind enough to advise the source of this information!

Thank you!

There is no specific answer to the question, only personal preference which is always going to be debatable.

All 7 of my fac tools have a variable scope with Mil-Dots, simply because that's what I prefer, and run between 3-12 and 6-24, although the vast majority of the time they ALL run at 6x for ALL applications.

Interestingly, last time at Bisley on 200 yards I was on 6x and the club member next to me was on 24x.... so no right or wrong here, simply whatever works for you!

I tend to up the mag sometimes just to scan the horizon, which I find very useful, but seldom shoot at anything above 6 times, hence why I always go for variable mag! :thumbs:

Thanks Flytie,

I served in Afghan, 2001 afetr 9 11, 2005-06, again in 2006, & 2008,

As a sniper 06 & 08. i,ve not seen that before but i thought .50 and not of the one shot one kill ethos. 3rd time lucky by the sounds of it.

pretty impressive tho all the same....................

Bit of a trauma tho patrolling for days with a .50 Cal and Chubb !

sorry to be a bit slow with this . . .Robert Furlong took out a Taliban RFK gunner at 2657 yards with his 3rd shot. Mac.Millan TAC 50, Leupold 16x Tactical scope. 9000ft altitude tho so the air resistance was a lot less.

Ric