5's for pigeon

any one shoot fives at pigeon? what do people think? i fine they kill cleaner especially at the longer ranged birds. im shooting the hull max high pheasant fiber wad at most things now , i find they suit my shooting. my head says the shots too big for pigeon but the shooting proves me wrong!

Guest MickyB

5's are fine for pigeon mate, if your happy, and finding your getting cleaner kills with an increased range then stick with it... personally I use no6 for pigeon, and find with a good cartridge like hull or express, they work best for me, with that bit more coverage with open or quarter choke.

Iv shot for 21yrs & 5's are the choice for me at every thing ie doos/rabbits/crows/game etc normally 30g dose me. If im on the hares i up it to 32g or 4's. I normally go for price on carts as im not that flush but if i can get 5's great but i get on great with 6's/7's etc too.

i use no.5 for everything from driven phesant, duck,rabbits, crows , pigeons the lot.

I tried no6 on pigeons before and found them ok but few got a full dose but carried on, they are surprisingly tough lil critters especially with a full crop, now i use nothing but 5s

You wont go wrong with 5s

some bloke was telling me that he uses 8s and 7.5s for pigeon, i cant see then taking them down at any worthwhile range.

edited to say i vouch for quality cartridges like express. i use Express super twenty fibre no5 does the trick....when i hit them.

Edited by Sterry

I too use 5's for preference. Rabbits, game, ducks and pigeon. 32g x 5's

I must admit that at the moment I am using 30g x 6's, but that was because we bought loads for the shoot syndicate and a couple of guy's did not pay for their share, so my mate and I bought them. Express pigeon special, they work too, if I point them in the right direction.

ft

You can shoot pigeons every time using 5's, 6's or 7's, each will kill cleanly at good ranges.

If you want to maximise your chances you need to look beyond shotsize and look at load, choke and range. It's hardly nessesary to use 32g 5's through a tight choke to shoot 25 yards over blown wheat!!! But roost shooting through branches on a February night????? It's more about changing your cartridge and choke to suit your needs.

Mark.

You can shoot pigeons every time using 5's, 6's or 7's, each will kill cleanly at good ranges.

If you want to maximise your chances you need to look beyond shotsize and look at load, choke and range. It's hardly nessesary to use 32g 5's through a tight choke to shoot 25 yards over blown wheat!!! But roost shooting through branches on a February night????? It's more about changing your cartridge and choke to suit your needs.

Mark.

your spot-on :notworthy:

Mark.

your spot-on :notworthy:

thanks for your help lads, i've now ordered a box of 250 , glad im not the only one shooting them, it give me confidence!

• 3 weeks later...

I generally find that, if decoying, any cartridge which goes bang does the job!

One of my best days was using 1oz loads in 6's.

I had 82 for 102 spent carts :D

Everything 'worked' that day and the pigeons decoyed really well!

That was in the days before 'magnets' I only had a WAGBI Seamark flapper and home made shell deeks!

Someone 'borrowed' the flapper 'to make a pattern' and I never got it back! (must have worked for them as well)

Would like to find another one!

Have used 7.5 trap loads 6's 5's as well all to good effect.

I generally find that, if decoying, any cartridge which goes bang does the job!

One of my best days was using 1oz loads in 6's.

I had 82 for 102 spent carts :D

Everything 'worked' that day and the pigeons decoyed really well!

That was in the days before 'magnets' I only had a WAGBI Seamark flapper and home made shell deeks!

Someone 'borrowed' the flapper 'to make a pattern' and I never got it back! (must have worked for them as well)

Would like to find another one!

Have used 7.5 trap loads 6's 5's as well all to good effect.

im looking at a pic of the wagbi flapper , i might try and make one but with a motor

• 1 month later...
i use no.5 for everything from driven phesant, duck,rabbits, crows , pigeons the lot.

I tried no6 on pigeons before and found them ok but few got a full dose but carried on, they are surprisingly tough lil critters especially with a full crop, now i use nothing but 5s

You wont go wrong with 5s

some bloke was telling me that he uses 8s and 7.5s for pigeon, i cant see then taking them down at any worthwhile range.

edited to say i vouch for quality cartridges like express. i use Express super twenty fibre no5 does the trick....when i hit them.

Mark.

Absolutely sound advice 100% spot on