177 for rabbits

if a rabbit is facing you and standing up like a meerkat then headshots are not always possible. by chest shots i mean the vital organs wich are in the top part of the body.

You don't have to shoot at anything that moves however it presents..you are allowed to refuse a shot, there is always another time!! :thumbs:

Head, or heart/lung it doesn't matter, get it right or forget it!! :thumbs:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot with a .22 and always have had them but when or if ever I have enough spare cash I am going to get a .177 because I do a lot of lamping and want the more forgiving trajectory, I take headshots on rabbits if I cant see the head I wouldnt bother, I rekon the chances of stopping a rabbit in the body with a sub 12 foot pounds rifle is about 1 in 5 possibly even lower.

i used a .22 for a bout 20 years and about 5 years ago got my self s410 in .177 ,it was the best decision ever ,acuracy is the key to succsesful clean kils in my opinion and all this hold under hold over just aint the same as just putting that cross hair on the kill zone and being confident that with well set sights checked regularly that good quick clean kills is what you get with 177 . i used to get about 25 rats anight in farm bulidings at all distances ,again all head shots and ther aint alot to aim at ,i had 7 rabbits this morning in open fields (head shots ) .i always use accupels but if i want to target squirels say and you feel you whant a harder hitting pellet just get yourself some bisley magnums in stock these are a heaviest pellets available and great close range so again no need for the 22 ,magnums are the bussiness.and with 177 you could taget shoot with it so so for these reasons i will never go back to a .22 unless it was fac

RE Chest shots.

I don't buy all this head or nothing shot that so many are spouting on this thread. Much easier for a pellet of any calibre to penetrate the ribcage than the skull. :yes:

Guest buster321c
RE Chest shots.

I don't buy all this head or nothing shot that so many are spouting on this thread. Much easier for a pellet of any calibre to penetrate the ribcage than the skull. :yes:

I`m kinda with you on the penetration bit Mal , but, surly the head shot produces more `instant ` results . Its more of a guessing game to kill outright with a heart / lung shot , than a head shot . What you think?

RE Chest shots.

I`m kinda with you on the penetration bit Mal , but, surly the head shot produces more `instant ` results . Its more of a guessing game to kill outright with a heart / lung shot , than a head shot . What you think?

I suppose it depends on the shooter mate. I suppose it's easier not to get a clean kill with a body shot, if you don't know exactly where to shoot it, whereas with a head shot if your aim is out the pellets more likely to not hit the rabbit at all.

All I know is I've dropped rabbits with both types of shot, and it's been game over instantly. I'd be inclined more towards a head shot if it's available, but it all depends on the angle. :hmm:

When I've used the chest shot, it's been when the rabbit has been sort of facing away from me at a slight angle, and I've aimed just a fraction behind & down from the armpit of the front leg. The results are pretty much the same as a headshot, with the rabbit going down like a sack of the proverbial shit! :D

Guest buster321c
RE Chest shots.

I suppose it depends on the shooter mate. I suppose it's easier not to get a clean kill with a body shot, if you don't know exactly where to shoot it, whereas with a head shot if your aim is out the pellets more likely to not hit the rabbit at all.

All I know is I've dropped rabbits with both types of shot, and it's been game over instantly. I'd be inclined more towards a head shot if it's available, but it all depends on the angle. :hmm:

When I've used the chest shot, it's been when the rabbit has been sort of facing away from me at a slight angle, and I've aimed just a fraction behind & down from the armpit of the front leg. The results are pretty much the same as a headshot, with the rabbit going down like a sack of the proverbial shit! :D

Ye ok , im with that .Like you say , its the pellet placement that counts . Ive done the heart shot thing a few times ( not many ) and although i have had results with it , i much prefer the head shot . Supppose you gotta take into account what you do with em too , personally most get eaten :D so it saves firkin about lookin for the pellet ,atb mate Buster

RE Chest shots.

Ye ok , im with that .Like you say , its the pellet placement that counts . Ive done the heart shot thing a few times ( not many ) and although i have had results with it , i much prefer the head shot . Supppose you gotta take into account what you do with em too , personally most get eaten :D so it saves firkin about lookin for the pellet ,atb mate Buster

Aye, with a chest shot, the front half of the rabbit is usually a write off! :D