177 has longer range and requires less rangefinding skills

177 has a flatter tradjectory than 22

177 disadvantages

177 is a very light pellet and has much less shock effect compared to 22

22 advantages

.22 has much more shock effect than the much smaller and lighter .177 pellet

.22 gives less runners

22 disadvantages

22 has a terrible trajectory and you have to rely on hold-over estimations to a much greater extent

so .177 are more accurate but theydont give much shock effect but

.22 are not that accurate but give greater shock effect.

my guns a .22 but i'd really like to get a .177 cause they can kill rabbits just as succsefaly as .22 but you have to be accurate. you cannot go for chest shots on rabbits with .177 as you can with .22.

tbh aaron there is no excuse really in this day and age of scope quality to take chest shots not having a dig i know its not always the easy shot but a clean head shot in .177 and .22 will allways do the job and sometimes the shot will bounce off a rib and your welll earned quarry will make a run for it :victory: head shots all the way for me

my guns a .22 but i'd really like to get a .177 cause they can kill rabbits just as succsefaly as .22 but you have to be accurate. you cannot go for chest shots on rabbits with .177 as you can with .22.

aron with sub 12ft/lb its head shot or no shot

reading this thread about runners

i find a head shot with .177 or.22 they never go far exept a couple of back flips

atb

up until last summer id have sworn by a .22, but i took the plunge and got myself a t10 1.77.....best thing i ever done! if you only take head shots anyway then it just means you take em at slightly longer ranges, great for boosting confidence! but.....ive just come in from a mooch and missed 3 of the easiest shots ever....so, just goes to show if you cant hit a barn door with a banjo it dosnt matter what cal you use!

cheers, matt

this argument was started when airgunning first appeard why dont you just get a 20 :duh::duh: :stupid:

Because the marketing men will tell you they give you the BEST of .177 and .22....fact is they give you the worst of both...they are not as fast or flat as a .177 and don't make as big a hole as a .22...thats why there are still very few .20 about!!

Guest Scuba1

I was in two minds about the calibre when I bought the 410 and wanted to try a .177. But when I was in the shop I changed my mind at the last minute and got a .22 again. The reason being, that I am so used to the .22 now, I would have to change my ways and thought its not worth it because as a whole I am happy with the results that I am getting with the .22.

ATB

Michael

.177 are NOT more accurate than .22, they just fly faster and have a flatter trajectory, which simply means you have to do less maths to work out pellet placement, most people will be more accurate with a .177 because it is easier to target, but it is not inherently more accurate than a .22!

"Chest" shots...what does that mean...if you are simply aiming at the biggest body mass then that isn't particularly clever and a .22 may well be more appropriate, HOWEVER, if you are talking heart/lung shots then either calibre will be adequate at the appropriate distance, and matched to the individual shooters ability.

I do not, and never have held with this "head shots only" business with 12ft lb on rabbits, but I respect everyones right to call their own shots!

Remember this is all sub 12ft lb, therefore they both have the same power, the difference is simply in how the calibre imparts that energy into the quarry and the flight path of the pellet! :thumbs: