Stags out of season ???

While in my line of duty today (Meat Inspector) at a local Wild Game Handling Establishment , I came across 2 young Red Stags in the chiller for me to inspect , (doing a bit of stalking myself I knew Stags are out of season ) the Hunters Declaration that applied to each carcass were ok so I prceeded to health mark the said carcases and on my way .

While driving home this began to prey on my mind , so at home I rang BASC Deer Dept and queried my findings -- You can shoot Deer out of season providing you ask for permission from police and have good reason to , Crop damage is the one people can use .

Does anyone do this and is it common ???? .Anyway I was advised by BASC to contact my wildlife liason officer to maybe check this out , as no one else would know if the guy is legitimate or not ( WATCH THIS SPACE )

Thanks Brian

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very common these days,although does need do be done under licence. These are easy to get however with the push in certain areas for more trees,crop protection,etc. You can even get a licence to shoot them at night.

Hundreds of deer are shot out of season, here in scotland anyway. Many estates treat them as vermin, due to them carrying tick wich makes them a threat to grouse, they are shot on site on several estates i know whatever the time of year.

Guest busterdog
It is very common these days,although does need do be done under licence. These are easy to get however with the push in certain areas for more trees,crop protection,etc. You can even get a licence to shoot them at night.

Hundreds of deer are shot out of season, here in scotland anyway. Many estates treat them as vermin, due to them carrying tick wich makes them a threat to grouse, they are shot on site on several estates i know whatever the time of year.

Very informative,

Now, if i could just have the number to sayed estates please. :rolleyes::clapper:

Always on the look out to be of assistance and help in any way. :D:D:D

In England or Wales the farmer or his appointed agent can cull any deer doing damage to his crop., The actual wording of the act being; "On any cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland, deer may be shot at any season". There is more, but that is the relevant bit. The condition being that they can only be culled where they are damaging the crop, you cannot intercept them on the way to or from the crop.

It is different in Scotland where you need a license from the DCS.

Night shooting licenses can be applied for in areas where it would be dangerous to cull during the day, local airfields are a prime example.

ft

PS If you are a stalker you should know this, and with your job I am surprised that you have not been briefed on this before.

Edited by flytie

Its only illegal on the calender as said many stags are shot on some estates in scotland due to tick etc. Another problem is that the stags come into the grass at this time of year & do cause alot of damage. I have ground not far from me were they come in & i tryed to get permission on land to get them as DCS would grant a licence quite easy to shoot them as they are comming out forestry & will genrally stand up to you at this time of year so you can bag a few. Some estates even work catches to drive the No. down a bit savage but as said they ar labeled as vermin pitty really.

Licenses for night shooting are granted easier than shooting out of season for some reason.Available from Natural England,online no less .Dont even come out to look at the problem .

Yes thats righ FD Natuaral England. I am about to apply to them as last year on the estate I manage (6000+ acres) one tenant farmer had all his barley ears nipped off by red deer in the space of ten days by >150 reds - he has just sown maize in this same 15 acre field and will face the same problem no doubt in June/July.

Although I am applying it is my intention to shoot last years followers and prickets, shooting hinds with young calves does not sit well with me.

Going back to the OP, it was always my belief that if deer were shot out of season then game dealers could not accept them. The only exception being deer culled from deer farms, but I may be wrong.

I had a deer problem to deal with just a few weeks back at a MoD/RAF helicopter base on the south coast, and Natural England were about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard with regard out of season and night shooting!!

Refer to this ..look at this.....I'll get someone else to call you.... fill in this...wish I'd never asked!!!

Scotland has a diffefrent interpretation and outlook on things, and deer laws are a little different!!

In England or Wales the farmer or his appointed agent can cull any deer doing damage to his crop., The actual wording of the act being; "On any cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland, deer may be shot at any season". There is more, but that is the relevant bit. The condition being that they can only be culled where they are damaging the crop, you cannot intercept them on the way to or from the crop.

Am I in a world of my own here? I keep re-reading the act and the relevant passage of the act and you do not need to consult anyone if you farm in England & Wales and are the farmer or his appointed agent. Why are you contacting Natural England unneccessarily? I repeat,

"On any cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland, deer may be shot at any season".

Unless someone has changed the law and not publicised it??????? Mind I could just be being thick :blink:

ft

Edit; Right I have just been reading the 2007 amended act and even though Natural England would like you to apply for licenses there is still the Farmer defence, ie.

Where deer are damaging property such as crops Section 7 of the Deer Act 1991 provides a “farmers defence†whereby authorised persons may, in certain circumstances shoot deer if they are causing damage in the close season (see the Act for details of the types of situations covered).

Edited by flytie

Am I in a world of my own here? I keep re-reading the act and the relevant passage of the act and you do not need to consult anyone if you farm in England & Wales and are the farmer or his appointed agent. Why are you contacting Natural England unneccessarily? I repeat,

"On any cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland, deer may be shot at any season".

Unless someone has changed the law and not publicised it??????? Mind I could just be being thick :blink:

ft

Edit; Right I have just been reading the 2007 amended act and even though Natural England would like you to apply for licenses there is still the Farmer defence, ie.

Where deer are damaging property such as crops Section 7 of the Deer Act 1991 provides a “farmers defence†whereby authorised persons may, in certain circumstances shoot deer if they are causing damage in the close season (see the Act for details of the types of situations covered).

Thanks all for the replies , interesting one about Game Dealers not able to accept deer out of season . Back at work tomorrow so will try to find out about this ( hopefully )

Thanks Brian

Guest joe ox
While in my line of duty today (Meat Inspector) at a local Wild Game Handling Establishment , I came across 2 young Red Stags in the chiller for me to inspect , (doing a bit of stalking myself I knew Stags are out of season ) the Hunters Declaration that applied to each carcass were ok so I prceeded to health mark the said carcases and on my way .

While driving home this began to prey on my mind , so at home I rang BASC Deer Dept and queried my findings -- You can shoot Deer out of season providing you ask for permission from police and have good reason to , Crop damage is the one people can use .

Does anyone do this and is it common ???? .Anyway I was advised by BASC to contact my wildlife liason officer to maybe check this out , as no one else would know if the guy is legitimate or not ( WATCH THIS SPACE )

Thanks Brian

Who needs the police with busy bodys like you to do it for them!!!!!

Thanks Brian

No need for that at all , simply asking a question !!!! If thats your view I suggest you change your avatar . And by the way bodies not bodys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest joe ox

No need for that at all , simply asking a question !!!! If thats your view I suggest you change your avatar . And by the way bodies not bodys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse my gramma :feck:

Why dont you just ask the game handling establishment? instead of going behind there backs and above and beyond your job MR BUSY BODY.

I stand by what I say, who needs the police to do there job when people like you do it for them!!! What are you in your spare time a special constable!!!!

As for wildlife liason officer's there no better than the RSPCA.

Excuse my gramma :feck:

Why dont you just ask the game handling establishment? instead of going behind there backs and above and beyond your job MR BUSY BODY.

I stand by what I say, who needs the police to do there job when people like you do it for them!!! What are you in your spare time a special constable!!!!

As for wildlife liason officer's there no better than the RSPCA.

Whats your problem with the law !!!!!!!!!!! ( would you be reacting like this if I had not said what my job is ) :wallbash:

Hi Cumbrian,think what Joe and other people are getting at is the way it came across,ie asking for estate phone numbers.

Being a meat inspector i thought you would have knowledge of all the rules that go with job,atb NID