Long Range Varminting in Cornwall .UK.

Guest varmartin

Guest baldie

Just been to the farm to chrono these new bullets, and spotted a rabbit at a lasered 183 yards, the new "match" bullet turned it into a glove puppet :blink: wont be bothering with the v-max from now on, not in 6mm anyway.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest varmartin
Just been to the farm to chrono these new bullets, and spotted a rabbit at a lasered 183 yards, the new "match" bullet turned it into a glove puppet :blink: wont be bothering with the v-max from now on, not in 6mm anyway.

Hi baldie, not used match bullets much on game but from what you say- and as accurate as they are i will get some and try them i think.

Are they flat base? probably awsome to about 400 yards max? have you tried them farther or do they do a dedicated long range heavy in 6mm?

shot this evening out to 700yards --perfect conditions as well not a breath of wind.got to within a few inches of nailin one but no cigar!! 350 was my best to night. almost out of ammo.so need to spend more time in the shed.

And yep your right Dead ive - wife near called the police, thought we had an intruder in the garden shed ,then she realised it was me!!

Nice setup baldie. looks like you can crank out a few rounds on the progressive??

Guest baldie

Aye, they are flat base, but reputedly good for 600.I will let you know, as i,m on the mod ranges at strensall on sunday. I use the dillon [semi progressive] just for loading .44 magnum for the marlin cowboy, though i,m adding a .357, or maybe a 32 h+r in the new year, dillons are the dogs bollocks mate, very accurate, you could comfortably load rifle ammo on it, and it would be right.

Hi everone and hi varmartin, what a good idea about reloading setups!! I have my setup in my bedroom - yes i know it sounds kinky but i am not like that - honest!!!!!!!!!!!

dscf08927yk.jpg

Had some good long range shooting too with varmartin , managed to get a 483yds bunnie and seen some further out , we had a go but as varmartin says we were so close but yet so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun :good::good::good:

dscf08873lu.jpg

PS this is the 483YDS bunnie!!!!!!!!!!

Guest 243wayne
:rolleyes: HI THERE ONLY SIGNED UP TODAY BUT HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS DAILY. I AM IN TO VERMIN SHOOTING AND A LITTLE TARGET SHOOTING . I SHOOT. 22RF .17CF .222 .22/250 .243 AND DO A LOT OF LAMPING MAINLY FOR FOXES. I LIKED THE POST THAT VARMARTIN SENT I HAVE THE SAME RIFLE .243 REM 700 VLS BUT I HAVE NOT TRYED ANYTHING LIGHTER THEN 70 GRAIN BUT MIGHT TRY THE 58 VMAX :good:

hi 243WAYNE and welcome to the site , myself only joined recently and am enjoying the site very much - hope you do too!!!!!!!!!!! I am using the 58 v-max in my 6ppc and the rifle loves them!! I know they shoot well in varmartins rifle too , i am sure if you ask him he will tell you what loads and case prep work he is doing --- have fun and enjoy :yahoo::yahoo:

Guest varmartin
:rolleyes: HI THERE ONLY SIGNED UP TODAY BUT HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS DAILY. I AM IN TO VERMIN SHOOTING AND A LITTLE TARGET SHOOTING . I SHOOT. 22RF .17CF .222 .22/250 .243 AND DO A LOT OF LAMPING MAINLY FOR FOXES. I LIKED THE POST THAT VARMARTIN SENT I HAVE THE SAME RIFLE .243 REM 700 VLS BUT I HAVE NOT TRYED ANYTHING LIGHTER THEN 70 GRAIN BUT MIGHT TRY THE 58 VMAX :good:

Hi there fellow VLS user!!

how do you get on with your remmy 700?

well mine is just getting better with every round down the pipe.!

you just gotta try 58 vmax. mine are moving at 3800-3900fps with vit 140 also use h4895 both awsome loads.

tried alot with 70nosler blitzkings ,80s, 105 amax etc (scenars shot all to shit.) could not hit a dustbin at 100yards .honest- they did not stablize.

so back to 58 vmax. like varminter said fantastic in his 6ppc.

shot a bunny the other night and all that was left was fur and shit, oh and a foot or was it an ear-cant remember, im still recovering from a hernia i laft so much.NOT FROM THE MESS YOU UNDERSTAND it was somthing varminter said. "it hits em like a plasma rifle -20 watt range "or was it" uzi 9MM".

any how got to go , work in the morning.

PS you might like it here?

Hi everone and hi varmartin, what a good idea about reloading setups!! I have my setup in my bedroom - yes i know it sounds kinky but i am not like that - honest!!!!!!!!!!!

dscf08927yk.jpg

Had some good long range shooting too with varmartin , managed to get a 483yds bunnie and seen some further out , we had a go but as varmartin says we were so close but yet so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

dscf08873lu.jpg

Nice jacket squire!!

How do you rate the harrel measure Varminter? i have one on order from sinclair, can you throw straight into the case?

I use a Harrell to throw all my powder and find it as accurate as using scales.

Using Vit 133 in PPC I throw directly into the case, with no problems at all, but i think you could spoon it into a PPC case and still shoot tiny groups.

Excellent peice of kit, a masterpeice to look at aswell :thumbs-up:

Hi baldie as for the harrrel powder measure its like no messin says they are very accurate and if you use the finer powders like VIHT 133 / BENCHMARK / H322 - ETC it throws very accurate measures!!!! I use my harrel for loading the 6.5-284 too and all you have to do is make a note of how many clicks on dial on the measure to get the desired weight powder , then dial it in!!! This is very handy if you are loading for different calibers . If you are loading viht 133 for 6ppc then like no messin says you can charge the powder straight into case but when i load with H4831SC for the 6.5-284 i trickle charges to disired weight because of the larger grain!!!!! If you make a note of how many clicks gives you a certain weight of powder you can take it to the range and work up loads there too if you have the facillities. Happy varminting!!!!! :good::good:

Edited by varminter
Guest 243wayne

you just gotta try 58 vmax. mine are moving at 3800-3900fps with vit 140 also use h4895 both awsome loads.

tried alot with 70nosler blitzkings ,80s, 105 amax etc (scenars shot all to shit.) could not hit a dustbin at 100yards .honest- they did not stablize.

shot a bunny the other night and all that was left was fur and shit, oh and a foot or was it an ear-cant remember, im still recovering from a hernia i laft so much.NOT FROM THE MESS YOU UNDERSTAND it was somthing varminter said. "it hits em like a plasma rifle -20 watt range "or was it" uzi 9MM".

dscf08927yk.jpg

dscf08873lu.jpg

Nice jacket squire!!

Guest 243wayne

dscf08927yk.jpg

dscf08873lu.jpg

Nice jacket squire!!

Guest 243wayne
:D hi to all what a great site this is. anybody a member of the varmint hunter association in the usa varmartin and varminter would have no trouble getting in the 500 yard club.varmartin my .243 vls shoot the 70 gr speer tnt very well tryed 75gr vmax 80gr 90 gr bergers very well also. it didnt like the 70gr nosler as much only shoots into 1inch at 100 yards what distance do you set the 58gr vmax off the lands as the vls has a long throat and the 58gr vmax has quite a jump in to the lands.my 70 s are 40 thou off the lands but still shoot good i use h4350 481/2gr lapua brass fed match 70gr tnt for the foxes crows rabbits hares but didnt try anything lighter because of the rifles long throat thats in my rifle and has a 1 in 9 1/8 twist but must try some now. just had a 6mmbr put on but thats another story thanks for the warm welcome varmartin and varminter :yahoo:
Guest varmartin
:D hi to all what a great site this is. anybody a member of the varmint hunter association in the usa varmartin and varminter would have no trouble getting in the 500 yard club.varmartin my .243 vls shoot the 70 gr speer tnt very well tryed 75gr vmax 80gr 90 gr bergers very well also. it didnt like the 70gr nosler as much only shoots into 1inch at 100 yards what distance do you set the 58gr vmax off the lands as the vls has a long throat and the 58gr vmax has quite a jump in to the lands.my 70 s are 40 thou off the lands but still shoot good i use h4350 481/2gr lapua brass fed match 70gr tnt for the foxes crows rabbits hares but didnt try anything lighter because of the rifles long throat thats in my rifle and has a 1 in 9 1/8 twist but must try some now. just had a 6mmbr put on but thats another story thanks for the warm welcome varmartin and varminter :yahoo:

hi 243wayne

my VLS also has long throat 1-9 1/8 twist . i load my 58 vmax to 40 thou off the lands also,

seems like such a long way when all my other work on loadind is spent getting them right on the lands or a few thou off, but 40 ?? but then i thought check some of the best factory loads and they are way off and some of them dont shoot bad.

But i wanted better , so 40 i tried first. good amount of bullet in the case neck, concentricity i hoped would be good. At the range they shoot consistantly in to 1/2 inch if i do my bit. dont need better than that !!!

That 58 at 3900 is the best varmint load i have tried yet with awsome results.

Im trying to shoot as many as i can to burn the barrel out, then i can justify spending all but £1200 on the custom job . :yahoo:

Varminter is in the varmint hunters association , he can tell you more as its new to me!

O well off to work for another 11 hour shift at 9, may try to finish early and go for a walk with the rifle, shit i dont even want to go to work now! thats what talking about guns and hunting does to you aye??

later ...varmartin

Edited by varmartin