Long Range Varminting in Cornwall .UK.

Guest varmartin

Foxshot, if I were you i would get a 6ppc sako extractor fitted to your rem 700 bolt, and fit a border 6ppc usa, barrel at 20 - 22" long.

My own rifle started life as a .223 rem VLS, I put 1000 ish rounds through it and it was still accurate untill I pulled the extractor out of the bolt face. At this point I got a sako extractor fitted and got the action blueprinted and a border 6ppc usa barrel fitted and the action pillar bedded into the vls stock.

The 6PPC is a superb round and as others have said, seeing is beleiving.

The beauty of the 6PPC USA is that you can either use Sako 6PPC loaded ammmo to get the cases, or fireform and neckturn the cases from .22 russian brass. I have used both and there is very little difference, and because you use a tight neck chamber you only need to neck size the brass with a bushed neck die, which is an absolute doddle. 30 cases would be enough to shoot a barrel out.

If you want to change calibres on the cheap, I would just get the sako extractor, a border barrel and pillar bed the action into your stock.£750ish

thanks for that no messin looks like varmint and you have made a good reason for me to go down the 6 ppc road , didnt think it was possible to change calibre using same action , thanks again

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baldie

York guns had some sako 6ppc,s left a while ago, they may still have one or two.....if you wanna deal with them........

The extractor problem is one i,m having on a 6.5 swede, i,m having built at the moment. Because its inbetween, shall we say, you cant realistically run the standard extractor, once the bolt face has been machined out, so its either a sako extractor, or the option i went for, a custom bolt from pacific tool and gauge.

Nice bit of kit NOMESSIN , what is your favorite load in your 6PPC?????

70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over 27 grains of Vit N133 with Fed match Primers. Bullets seated into lands till they leave a square mark on bullet.

Brass is fire formed Lapua .220 Russian, necked up to 6mm, neck turned to .268 with bullet seated. Primer pockets and flash holes uniformed, time consuming but you only do it once.

I think for all around vermin control you cant beat the 6ppc.On calm still days i have shot some really impressive groups at 5-600yds with it,even though it is not designed for this.For general work out to 3-350yds though it cant be beaten.Excellent accuracy with long barrel life make this a winning combination.

I use a slightly stiffer load than anyone else of,29.5 grains of n133 under a 68 grain barts ultra bullet with fed 205 match primer.This leaves my 24 inch barrel at 3380fps and doesnt really lose much to the 243 win. Please be careful and work up to this load gradualy as it is safe in my rifle which is a custom action with lapua brass and is therfore able to handle a bit more pressure!

Hi NOMESSIN nnd 6PPC thanks for sharing your 6PPC data. I have found in the 4 years of owning my sako 75VLS in 6 ppc virtually any bullet from 58 grains up to the 80 grainers shoot really well , My rifle just loves a charge of 28 grains of viht 133 a 58 v-max seated to kiss the lands / federal 205 match primers and i use the sako 6ppc usa brass fully prepped but no neck turn. I have tried all sorts of benchrest and other bullets / berger /fowler / nosler /bibs / blitzking to name a few , but have found overall that the v-max are very accurate and are extremely explosive on target , the 65 v-max goes well too!!!! 6PPC would love to see a picture of the rifle you use if thats okay!!! HAPPY VARMINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi varminter,will take a few pics in next couple of days and try to post them(im totally usless on comp,if i cant post them perhaps someone would be kind enough to do it for me if i email them to them!).

a try at some pics.

Rifle specs: Borden single shot action

Shillen super select match barrel at 24" 1:14 twist

Mcmillan sako varmint style black/grey marble stock with custom inlett

Fully pillar and glass bedded

Talley mounts, nightforce nxs 8-32 with npr2 ret

Fully built by Callum Ferguson of precision rifle services.

a couple of pics of my reloading setup also:

Hi Varminter,glad you like the pictures. Yes i use the barts ultra for varminting and it works perfectly well. It expands great and kills everything stone dead.This bullet would also work great on roe etc if it was legal. Apart from my stalking rifles i only ever use match bullets and find them to kill very well.

I was just wondering have you tried N130 or N120 with your 58 v-max loads? I know that when i tried the 55 b/t through mine that you could not get enough N133 in the case to get the velocity that it was capable of(accuracy was fine though) if i had stuck with those bullets i would have tried the powders i mentioned!. For me though the barts work well on either paper or vermin out to 600yds on a calm day(when the wind picks up the bigger guns come out).

Hi 6PPC as for powders i went with the crowd and used viht N133 , i have also used exterminator too with the 58 v-max and 65 v-max . When using 28 grains of VINT N133 i am averaging 3300FPS with the 58 v-max and the same charge with the 65 v-max gives me 3200FPS. This with the sako ppc usa cases gives me a fill quite far up the neck. I have been told that when i start using the lapua cases i will be able to get a little more powder in!!! I have ordered a krieger 24 inch 1 in 12 twist with a 270 neck - barrel from callum fergurson for my sako 6ppc and hope to get this fitted some time in october. And as for when it gets windy yes out comes me 6.5-284 :good: What other rifles do you use then 6PPC?????

HAPPY VARMINTING AND :signthankspin:

Edited by varminter