Well I finally managed to get out for a morning last Sunday. It was an important one as I'm bringing on two young kits this year alongside my older experienced Jill so it was a very first outing for two of them.
The landowner had asked me to concentrate on a long hedgerow which, at one side, he had recently drilled. A few days previously I had been down and managed to cut back the worst of the nettles etc. in the central part of the hedgerow where the biggest concentration of rabbits seemed to be.
It was a nice morning, got there for about 7am and saw plenty of rabbits still feeding so I was sure there would be a few to bolt. I set up a couple of 50yd longnets either side of the hedge, dissected that with a few stop nets and then put a few purse nets down where the most likely bolt holes were.
I decided to put the Jill kit in with my old Jill first, she hesitated slightly then followed the old Jill down in to the warren. I waited about 15mins for the first bolt, and I admit I was worried I was going to blank at one point! Anyway the two Jills' bolted a total of 4 rabbits plus a load of baby rats before I decided to give the young kit a break and swap her for the hob kit. He was a little more nervous than the Jill but eventually he went underground and a further 1 rabbit bolted. After bout 20 mins of nothing going on I managed to pick up the older jill and the hob kit and put them back in the box. I decided to call it a day at that point as I didn't want to tire out the kits and I was happy with the result considering it was their first outing.
I'm going to have a another go at the next section of the hedgerow this weekend all being well. (Sorry for the sideways pic!)