200 MILE TRIP SOUTH

mole catcher

200 mile trip south

After leaving his home in Yorkshire at 5am, I picked Mistnet up from the train station in Norwich at 9.15. Having just taken a trip of nearly 200miles south there was no doubt that his desire to learn a thing or two about long netting was a strong desire indeed. The next two days would be about nothing but long netting for both him and myself to boot. With two nights of netting planned and the daylight hours in between going to be taken up with nothing but talk of rigging nets, repairing nets, setting nets and just about all things netting a busy two days was going to be had that was a certainty.

To many I suppose, two days of nothing but long netting could seem as being something of a drag but to anyone with a keen interest two days just wasn’t going to be long enough to fit it all in. So after a breakfast of fried eggs on toast we set right away to making the most of our time by heading off to a local field to ready the traditional rigged nets for the nights work.

Mistnet isn’t a novice longnetter but a person keen to further his knowledge in any way he can and that’s what the next two days were going to be about, both of us gaining in knowledge. That first morning was spent with the two of us running out the nets rigged on endpins, each keen to show the other our way of doing things. For me it was great to be in the company of a like minded man, as I began offering a few hints and tips as to how he could better his technique. Using the many years of myself making the same mistakes as my guide, in no time at all the nets were going out as smooth as possible and more importantly being picked up just as smoothly in preparation for the next drop.

With time then spent explaining the hows and whys of pair netting, something shown to me by netrigger last year when his family spent a holiday with mine, we were both beginning to form the basis for that nights netting partnership.

I suppose that for most, long netting is simply a case of buying a basket set and marching off to the nearest field holding rabbits and getting the net out as quickly as possible, and of course this will catch rabbits. But I was asked by mistnet to put my money where my mouth was and show him, what he had read not that long ago in the form of the manuscript for my forthcoming longnetting book would work and wasn’t just words on paper.

What was in question was my ethos on longnetting, that a slowly slowly approach does catch more monkey, or in this case more rabbits. I was asked to prove that if a slow quiet approach was taken and the rabbits due to something such as light pollution became aware of the netters approach, an all out rout would not take place and a drop of this kind would catch the feeding rabbits. Of course, as many will know I have put up a few questioning posts as to the validity of some so called longnetters experience as their posts have left me doubting the true worth of what it is they have themselves posted. So I was more than pleased to put myself up against the long netting odds in less than best conditions and show that fieldcraft alone will win the day where as speed in most cases wont.

But before the time to hit the fields was upon us I had to finish rigging the handmade spun nylon net that was to head off north with mistnet in 48 hours time. This again was a great opportunity to pass on some knowledge and keep the skills of the net maker alive, with my every move and snippet of advice being soaked up like a sponge by mistnet.

Later on that evening I rigged a 100yrd-basket system, showing the way in which I rig a system such as the basket type net. This was rigged within the confines of my workshop as the weather had now turned very damp with a very heavy drizzle that was soaking everything and threatening to put a stop to the planned nights long netting if it got any harder.

Once the basket was fully rigged and the time now showing 11pm, we set off in what can only be described as flat calm, soaking wet conditions with the low cloud cover bouncing all the light pollution back onto the fields, and any longnetters foolish enough to consider giving it a go.

I was asked to show as many different types of drops as I could, explaining the reasons why I would carry out that drop in the way I would, this I would try my best to do. Remembering my ethos on longnetting, I was keen to prove that with a little knowledge of the rabbits behaviour and a little fieldcraft even the worst type of night could yeald rabbits to a forward thinking netter. So with the cloud cover getting lower, the light pollution getting brighter and the rain getting heavier I approached the first drop with nothing more than the basket system. This drop was going to be a simple case of a run out in front of a small sunken copse, sounds easy right? Wrong. Behind the thinish copse were 2 street lamps as well as a stables that was floodlit as was the house. No one in their right mind would ever consider this the ideal drop but for me it was ideal for what I wanted to prove. My theory is this, a rabbits no1 survival method is at the sign of danger to drop to the floor as flat as possible and wait for the danger to pass, once it has passed to bolt for cover or remain dead still. With all that light any feeding rabbit within 300 yards would clearly see us both and either prove me right or wrong. Once the net was set in a slow and quiet fashion, a long outward-bound walk was taken to get behind any feeding rabbits. Baring in mind the field is a newly rolled and seeded affair, that is as flat as a glass table a bag of four rabbits was a welcome sight.

The next drop was on the same type of field, flat with no cover and the weather got worse. With rain and no wind, street lamps on full glow and rabbits as clear as a bell we began dropping the next 200yrds of netting. A few in close feeding rabbits hopped over the road and into safety as we both knew they would, we watched as they almost meandered along without a care in the world. Again this was showing to me that with a little less speed you wont cause a full-scale panic and many rabbits will continue to sit tight. These rabbits sitting tight we could clearly see as some would stand on their back legs and watch us as we set about placing the nets, some basket rigged, others on endpins. This was good long netting as this was showing in the clear bright rings of light from the streetlamps just how unfazed the rabbits were by us being there. I would like to say at this point that this is not virgin ground but a shooting estate where the rabbits are lamped 3 nights a week and very spooky. As we both walked out to begin the walk in we could see the rabbits begin to head for home after the danger had passed. They didn’t run head long for cover but hopped and stopped, sniffed the air and again hopped and stopped. This again was good to see as it was proving to mistnet my views on the following, its better to slowly push the rabbits in rather than have them bolt headlong as some would have you believe. Again at the net four more rabbits were taken in very poor conditions for longnetting.

I now wanted to up the anti and put the odds in my favour and choose a drop that was deemed to be a better option on a poor night, a night with no wind and a drizzle that soaked you through to the skin. Choosing a drop with a very thick hedgerow as a backdrop as well as a gully in which to set the nets the odds were beginning to rise in our favour. We weren’t going to get it all our own way because after about 100yrds the backdrop vanished as the setting line became atop a rising hill. This hill rose some 20ft above a very well light duel carriageway meaning we would be stood on top of that hill as clear as a bell. This was ok as again this could be used to show that if you don’t spook the rabbits they wont bolt, even if they can see you. With the last 100yrds being set we both could see the rabbits simply drop or move away from us, some rabbits being no more than 30yards out from the setting line. With everything going ok so far I good outward bound walk of some 700-800yrds was taken to get behind the far out feeding rabbits, the best bit being the rabbits feeding behind a raised brow. These rabbits wouldn’t have seen us set the nets and these were the rabbits we were after. Once behind them a slow walk in was taken, with the rabbits showing themselves as they ran over the top of the hill and on in towards the waiting nets. Even where the light pollution was at its worst due to the roadside lights and cars driving along, the rabbits still made a steady direction towards the nets. Perhaps at this point I should mention that these nets are of a light green coloration, once called “Scooby do†nets by a well known ferretman, because “their colour makes them glow in the darkâ€

Anyway, as mistnet headed off in one direction, I went the other to check the nets and we both met in the middle. I was duly informed that in his half in the cover of the backdrop of hedgerows, a total of 10 were caught, In mine I went one better, 11. So a total of 21 in one drop in slightly better but not perfect conditions were taken. This is what its all about, using your knowledge and fieldcraft to take rabbits, to be sharing this experience with like minded people and to do it in a manner that leaves you free from following fashions set out by others.

With a broad smile as we lifted the nets, the light green ones as well, I couldn’t help but hum “ Scooby dooby do, where are you?â€

Getting home at 5.30 am both myself and mistnet had been awake for over 24hours and our beds were calling us, but first we had to prep the 29 rabbits. It’s ok to catch the numbers but that’s when the work starts.

Waking at 12.30pm the second day would take more of a slower pace with the day spent walking my dogs and time spent showing the making of nets as well as repairing damaged ones. This was good time spent chatting and bouncing ideas off each other as the day passed in a flash. With the weather improving a second nights netting was on the cards with us leaving the house at 11pm. As with anything hunting, you don’t get it all your own way so with the first drop being a no show rabbit wise we lifted the endpin rigged nets and made our way to the second of the planned drops. Tonight wasn’t about more rabbits butt letting us work as a team, pair netting whilst we had the chance of each other’s company. On this second drop a panic stricken pigeon spooked all the feeding rabbits before we had chance to place the nets properly to block their escape so a change of plan was needed for the third drop. With a steady blow to the wind a long walk to get in position was taken as I wanted this drop to show how a text book drop (if theres such a thing) should go. Taking into consideration cover, wind direction and the walk out to get into position to walk the net in, all went very well. With the fresh scent of fox musk hanging heavy in the air doubts as to the size of the bag began to rise, not that the bag size is important. With a further 5 rabbits in the bag we called it a night and went home to get an hours sleep before the hour drive to the station to catch the 5.50am train back to Yorkshire.

So with the effects of only 7hours sleep in the last 48 hours now taking its toll as I type, I'm sitting here with a happy heart knowing that I was able to have met a fellow member of this site, to show him my way of doing things. But most importantly to have shared the experiences of the netting game when against the odds, a few things turn out in our favour.

I'm sure once mistnet returns back to the land of the sleep fed normal folk; he will post a few pics of his time here in silly Suffolk

Edited by mole catcher

Guest MIST NET

Ive finally come back from the land of sleep...and all i can say is "what a experience", When Fagin invited me down for a few days i jumped at the chance, work and family life was put on hold and the train tickets bought .my few years experience was with the basket system,its served me well but after my trip down to suffolk im a converted "end pin" man...Fagins aproach to longnetting is the no rush "slowly,slowly" aproach which trust me is better than the mad rush spook everthing aproach ive done in the past.I learnt a lot while in fagins company and hope to pass on the knollege to my son who will be acompanying me this coming season. heres a few pics...

A practice run.

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

one of many.

IMG_8875.jpg

A very tired MIST NET.

IMG_8877.jpg

The 1st nights bag.

IMG_8860.jpg

A very happy MIST NET.

IMG_8874.jpg.

Ive finally come back from the land of sleep...and all i can say is "what a experience", When Fagin invited me down for a few days i jumped at the chance, work and family life was put on hold and the train tickets bought .my few years experience was with the basket system,its served me well but after my trip down to suffolk im a converted "end pin" man...Fagins aproach to longnetting is the no rush "slowly,slowly" aproach which trust me is better than the mad rush spook everthing aproach ive done in the past.I learnt a lot while in fagins company and hope to pass on the knollege to my son who will be acompanying me this coming season. heres a few pics...

A practice run.

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

one of many.

IMG_8875.jpg

A very tired MIST NET.

IMG_8877.jpg

The 1st nights bag.

IMG_8860.jpg

A very happy MIST NET.

IMG_8874.jpg.

1st class article,fagin if this is a taste of your new book i look forward to reading it,makes a change to read a decent informative and interesting post some good pics by mistnet as well,my scooby do is still working well but mostly during the day,good luck with the new book and see you at east anglia game fair,jim

post-11397-1235746127.jpg

Good post lads :thumbs: nice to see members sharing "the knowledge" ;) .Just had my first season with ferrets & longnets( self made quickset) & i love it,gives me a right buzz watching bugs thinking he's away :laugh: then bags up nicely.

Should have done it many moons ago but it always sounded like a black art but once your shown the basics & get into it,things become a bit clearer.Still got to try the traditional method yet tho :icon_redface::icon_redface: