Sheridan .20 pistol vs Magpie..

Well just of late I've been getting bugged by the hardest vermin to shoot with any air rifle, but I done this with my CO2 pistol. I'm talking about those evil Magpies or black & white bandits. This b*****d has been waking me up every morning at 05:30am-07:00 for weeks. Losing sleep is not good for me as it ruins my day, today this bandit cackled his last cackle :D

I'm now looking forward to a good lay in from now on :victory: , when I got downstairs to greet the dead quarry in my backyard I found both of my cats curiously inspecting the bounty. To illistrate for you why this bugged me so much is because directly outside my bedroom window is a chimney pot where they sit and cackle to their buddies :wallbash: . So last night I decided to bait the chimney pot up with some tasty bird seed in aid of drawing the greedy b*****d in and keeping him there long enough to point the gun at. Magpies are well known for being very quick to fly off if they sense a gun or human presence (as we all know here). Today his number was up and when I heard him crash down into my yard my face lit up :D

post-20221-1218891040_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice bit of shooting there timelord nice looking gun as well

let me know if you are ever tempted to sell it been after 1 for a while

cheers stu

Thanks sumo as explained above he was not easy to get, one would say an educated Magpie. So he took a bit of cunning from myself to bag him :victory:

As for selling this pistol I'm afraid to say I don't think I will as the .20 version is not made anymore. If I ever have to sell it though I will promise you the first refusal ;)

:clapper: Nice shot mate, i seen 8 mobbing a fox cub at the start of june and the poor cub didn't know what to do

Magpies are definately my pet hate and because they are so cunning I really get the cheesy grin on my face when I bag one :D I found a temporary use for him for the rest of the day until I light him up in the incinerater bin.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present you the latest decoy on the market :clapper:

post-20221-1218904638_thumb.jpg

Nice shooting Timelord,

I cant agree more that a good Magpie is a Dead one. I have my Air Rifle here purely for knocking them off in the garden. I have a fir tree which they love to sit in, but unfortunately for them, it happens to be 35 yards from my Back door. Unlucky :laugh:

But as you say, they are cunning. I have a trick for making mine stay just a second longer. Get some bait (Eggs) wrap them in cling film so he is curious he cannot get at them. Great if you are sitting and waiting. But you need to take it down afterwards or you could choke something else.

I normally shoot them with the Rimfire elsewhere ( Tin Hat on for mentioning Firearms in the airgun Section :laugh: )

Keep it up, and a very smart looking Pistol that. Looks an awful lot better than the Mental picture I have of Air Pistols.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Nice shooting Timelord,

I cant agree more that a good Magpie is a Dead one. I have my Air Rifle here purely for knocking them off in the garden. I have a fir tree which they love to sit in, but unfortunately for them, it happens to be 35 yards from my Back door. Unlucky :laugh:

But as you say, they are cunning. I have a trick for making mine stay just a second longer. Get some bait (Eggs) wrap them in cling film so he is curious he cannot get at them. Great if you are sitting and waiting. But you need to take it down afterwards or you could choke something else.

I normally shoot them with the Rimfire elsewhere ( Tin Hat on for mentioning Firearms in the airgun Section :laugh: )

Keep it up, and a very smart looking Pistol that. Looks an awful lot better than the Mental picture I have of Air Pistols.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Nice trick with the eggs SS I'll try that sometime myself to see the outcome, I've had a good few crows with this pistol as well I think they are just a little more astute than pigeons but not as fly as the Magpie ;). I'm still saving hard for my air rifle ATM but I'm very pleased with this Sheridan pistol, I chronographed it and it was doing 5-6 pound depending on the cartridge level and it is as accurate as hell.

Today it was a little undressed (with out it's silencer) and it's a definate pet project I'm rather proud of. Here's a picture of it fully dressed with the Weirauch silencer and laser to go on board..... :victory:

post-20221-1218910531_thumb.jpg

the best draw to bring in maggies 'n ' crow's . is a dead maggie or crow lying tit's up. when other's see this they come right to it lookin all concerned and makin a lot of rackett. it is easy to shoot em in the confusion. and if your gun is quiet and they dont see you. you can shoot half a dozen in the space of a minute or so. unlike pigeon's ect who fly off when they see one of there own shot. corvid's usualy hang about. [ i'v en seen em gently peckin a fallen comrade tryin to wake it up] :clapper: if you capatalise on this you can have a few minutes of hectic shootin. . if i were you i wouldnt burn the one you shot. i would throw it on the roof tonight . and i know come first light you will be awoken by the other focker's . then the fun start's. :victory: